Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where and what for UFO's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-what-ufos-t13095.html)

Ninnie 08-28-2009 03:53 AM

I keep mine in a large laundry basket, with lid!
:oops: :oops: I sew need to finish some of them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But not today, I' starting a new quilt! :roll: :roll:

bebe 08-28-2009 04:29 AM

I have started working on my UFO's after I counted them and have around 25 or so!!!! :roll: :wink: :shock: :shock: :-o Since the middle of July I have completed 3 tops and now working on my 4th. Yeah!!!!!!!

How I get myself motivated to finished them is that I let myself work on something new at the same time. I find if I work on several projects at one time it helps me get away from the boredom. I cannot work on one project forever and a day I need variety.

I am on a roll I plan to complete at least 4 more this clears up some boxes and closet space.!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Now my new dilema is coming up with the money to get them quilted :roll: :shock: That cost varies for each quilt so now I need to save. :lol: :lol:

I will post my tops later when my neighbor has time to help me post.

justwannaquilt 08-28-2009 04:38 AM

My problem is not UFO's although I do have two half quilted sanwhiches laying around here! my biggest issue is seeing a pattern I like, going to the fabric store, getting what I want, and then bringing it home and adding it to the "box" the box of never ending fabric and patterns, I went through it the other night and seen what all was in it, holy moly. I have everything from quilts to be made, to fabric for grocery bag totes, fabric for clothes, I even had a half made diaper bag that I started <almost> three years ago!

My new plan, I can not buy ANY fabric (except fabric for halloween costumes which are going to throw a socket in my plan!) until the stuff in "the box" is done! So far so good. I am getting alot of stuff done up, I even have a ghost laying on my table now that needs cut out and sewn but I am feeding the baby and typing instead!! lol

Rose Hall 08-28-2009 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I have my already "sandwiched" UFO's on my son's bed. They used to be on the treadmill in the family room (where I sew) They may end up back here again. That treadmill makes a great place to store the "to be quilted" projects! It even adds color to the room! The almost completed tops are folded and stored in a clear rubbermaid tub (66 qt or larger size) some of them have a ziploc bag with them with the fabrics to finish the tops. My blocks are in ziploc bags in a second UFO Tub. Sad that I have 2 tubs. I need to get to work!!!

what a great use for a treadmill! LOL.

Rose Hall

mimisharon 08-28-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
IMy plan is to finish them all, but first i need to be able to find them with their attendant pieces. I do work on them, there are not that many. I had pieces, and fabric and other stuff piled on every flat surface....and walking was a hazard :lol: The strips, I am still thinking on that one :wink:

Welllllll.....most of mine are tops, and I have them in a nice cabinet from IKEA that has glass doors so I can enjoy the pretty colors. :wink:
As for the strips - how about putting them on some hangers? They won't get too wrinkled up that way.

Sue,
That's exactly what I do. I roll the binding on plastic coat hangers with a hand towel over it. The strips cut for different projects go on different coat hangers. Then I hang them pretty close to the folded top (over a coat hanger, too) It's easier to find and see...

RedGarnet222 08-28-2009 03:24 PM

I started finishing my UFO's and unfinished tops this last january. It has whittled it down to something I can live with now. My problem is that I need to go on a batting buying spree instead of fabric. LOL!

The next time they have a good sale, I am going to buy as many as I can and some head. That way, I will have it on hand when the snow fly's and I don't want to go out shopping. I have gotten a nice stash of thread going on now. That took some doing, matching all the quilt tops I have in the wings. But, I am determined .....

Did I mention I went shopping today and bought fabric for another quilt to do this winter? That make seven of those. Plus the six queens I have ready to quilt. And three twins, three wall hangings and that is not counting all of the regular sewing projects I bought the patterns, notions and fabric for.

Just why do we do this to ourselves? LOL! I feel almost overwhelmed with it all.

judee0624 08-28-2009 07:37 PM

:D I have a couple of project boxes, storage style, for two UFOs, then I am using plastic bags that drapes came in for some others. They have zippers so are easy to close up and carry around if necessary - like to find more fabric. Then there are the drawers. I have a son who works at a pizzaria so thanks for that idea.

judee

GailG 08-28-2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by minstrel
I have most of mine in one of those hanging canvas "shelves" that go in your closet, if you know what I mean - the kind that have a hanger to go over your closet rod and are about 4 (5?) feet long and a foot wide with 4 or 5 compartments. That clear as mud? LOL One shelf is good for one project since I mostly do throw sized quilts.

That sounds so ideal. I just wish I had space in the closet to hang one (or two) of those.

Oh this same topic: Last year about this time, we were issued a challenge to help us tackle our UFOs. Maybe one of those would be in order again. I finished a project that had been in the making since 2000.

pjinflorida 08-28-2009 09:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit confused. In reading some of these post, they are being kept in plastic container/bags. I though you weren't supposed to store quilts, even the ones that aren't quilted yet in plastic.

II have a couple quilts I need to store and was going to get some of that tissue paper that is ok for storing material, i.e. quilt, or ufo's.

Is that a waste? Is plastic ok?

Also where do you get new unused pizza boxes from?

Thanks for your help
Pam