Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who are the "Quilting Police" .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-%22quilting-police%22-t118033.html)

grann of 6 04-23-2011 04:27 AM

Oh, I love all the comments. Luckily, I have never met one personally, but I have heard stories from others. I guess the reason I have never met one is that my work is so perfect that they can't find any flaws. :roll: :roll: :roll: I am currently teaching myself to long arm quilt, so I keep looking over my shoulder; none yet. :?

supergma 04-23-2011 04:29 AM

Quilting police are the ones who seldom finish a quilt, but can tell you what is wrong with yours. My advice is to ignore them. Always remember; it's your quilt, do it the way you want to.

quilt3311 04-23-2011 04:29 AM

I think Quilt Police is really a tongue in cheek reference to someone who thinks she/he knows everything and is an authority on all techniques used in quilting. I usually find these people are the ones who cannot DO, so they criticize what others do. If you ever run into one of these "authorities", just smile and agree with them then go off and laugh yourself silly. Some days it pays to have a sense of humor and just ignore the person who pretends to be the "Quilt Police".

supergma 04-23-2011 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by frostbaa
I have always thought that my cat Peach was the quilt police. She always has to be the first to try out a new quilt.

Oooohhh! Peach is one beautiful cat.

lillybeck 04-23-2011 04:52 AM

I love all of these answers. I think they are want to be quilters. Even though there are some experts out there that think they are the QP I find that what they are doing is telling us their opinion. You know that everyone has an opinion.
There are people who think that if you do not do it their way then you are wrong. There really is more than one way to do things.

Gleniveve 04-23-2011 05:00 AM

"Peach" is gorgeous and would have a better idea of what is good and what is not that any of the "Know-It-All-Beaches" that are always ready to give their opinions. I think there could be a type "O" there somewhere.
Good-on-you-Peach, Good Girl.
She knows her job and she's a good judge of character as well. Think we should ban the "Quilt Police" they're "ALL"self appointed anyway.
Really enjoyed this post, gives us all a good laugh.
Gleniveve

Maire 04-23-2011 05:28 AM

My 6 yr old granddaughter recently had a short term as "Chief of the Quilt Police" I was making into a quilt drawings that she & her classmates had made on muslin with fabric markers. The quilt is to be used as a fundraiser for her school.
I never realized that she paid any attention to how/what I sewed but as I was working on it she was very critical, especially concerned that the quilting looked good on the back. Since I am the only quilter that she is around I was astonished of how much she knew.
Now that the quilt is finished and her teacher is thrilled with it my granddaughter has retired from the Quilt Police.

debbieumphress 04-23-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Overly opinionated quilters who believe they are always right.

ROFL...this could apply to some of the posters on this board. LOl Just kidding. I agree wtih the statement, there are few on here. HUGS♥♥

Homemother 04-23-2011 05:39 AM

I think the QP are generally unhappy people and the only way to make themselves feel better is to criticize someone else. They tend to be bossy know-it-alls in every walk of life regardless if they've been down those roads or not. Once upon a time I took them seriously but now either avoid them or smile at their comments and say "not a word."

The ladies and gents on this board are kind and helpful and oooh and awww over everyone's efforts because making a quilt is a grand undertaking. We know the time and energy and brain power that goes into a quilt. Effort and completion and design and color get us all excited! I wish I lived in a neighborhood of quilters who participate on this board!

BTW: The comments are funny! Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions and experiences on this subject!

Bev 04-23-2011 05:40 AM

The quilting police are a cross between the tooth fairy and the big bad wolf. They exist only in our imaginations. But we all know how vivid our imaginations can be. Don't ever let them get to you :lol: