Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who are the "Quilting Police" .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-%22quilting-police%22-t118033.html)

Daleen 04-23-2011 05:41 AM

We have done the best we can and it's a learning experience at times. Quilters should ignore those snooty remarks. Enjoy the art. It's your quilt!

Bev 04-23-2011 05:46 AM

I have a fat cat who could qualify as an officer in the quilt police department. He loves, really LOVES, only one of all my quilts. It's made with Mary Englebreit prints and is very old and beat up. He will throw his huge body on it wherever it appears, and will not get up for anyone. That is, of course, unless you offer him a bribe in the form of a little bowl of tunafish juice. Any other quilt gets only a faint nod from him. :D

debbieumphress 04-23-2011 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by olebat
One must be careful. This can be a grey area. The characteristics here mentioned are typical of the QP, and grey is usually their (natural) hair color. I understand that they can be bribed with fat quarters, but I wouldn't waste my time or fabric. The reason I issue caution, is that there are genuinely concerned people who will scrutinize our works and provide helpful comments or suggestions. You should ask for feed back. If someone makes comments about mismatched points, that may be a quilt police. If you ask, "How do I avoid these mismatched points?" then everyone who answers is a mentor. (Before you asked, they were making comments on the pretty color combo.)

Recently, I was picking the brain of a fellow guild member about the overall operation of the retreats, shows, fund-raisers, etc. New to this guild, it seems so different than the other groups to which I've belonged. I was advised to hang my quilts for show, rather than for judging, at our upcoming guild show. She described the judges as unemotional nit-pickers who don't know how to have fun. So, yes, we have plain clothes quilt police in my area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Ditto here. I also think there is definitely a difference in being the QP and offering advice when helped. It's a slight difference so we must all be careful when we post and not fall into the QP category. LOL.

The picture is blurry because the flash was bad and the best I could do. It's a little QP person and it says Quilt Police on the bottom. SO funny. I think it was in the Pin Peddler booth.

Bought this Quilt Police pin at the Houston Quilt show last year ti have it to give to the next one I saw. Well, decided to keep it to remind me not to join this "elite" group. Elite because there aren't that many. LOL.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]187898[/ATTACH]

Buckeye Rose 04-23-2011 05:49 AM

the ones who should be named "quilting police" will never admit to being one!

mountain deb 04-23-2011 06:04 AM

It is that 'thing' we like to poke fun with. It could be that angel (or devil) sitting on your shoulder telling you something, what that is you have to listen. It could also be your subconscious, whatever it is, have fun with it.

Quilted Horse 04-23-2011 06:05 AM

OMG what a great question...and what great answers!!! About a year ago at a guild retreat, I became the prisoner of the quilt police. As is the practice, we all hung our finished works of art on the walls of the large gym when lo and behold...the quilt police (aka bee-atch) marched right over to my work and loudly announced..."where are the points?" for one quilt and then later when another was put up..."why did you applique that on? I would've pieced it in"
Well...although I was fuming (with most of my fellow guild members) my responses to these two rude comments were - "I don't really like points" and "when you make yours you can piece it!" She has continued to be a thorn in my side but I find it funny how many people she has pissed off in the meantime. Although she is a very good quilter I would never go to her for advice! I continue to learn, get better and seek advice from several wonderful mentors who provide constructive criticism. and truly want to help. I am always seeking to be better, but prefer to try new things and new ways. I enjoy the adventure (or the road to the end) more than the destination. And lastly...well I could go on forever...New quilter...keep on quilting, learning and growing. IMHO quilting is an art form which should be forever changing and growing. If you're having fun that is all that matters! OK, I'll put my soap box away now....

lostsoulhelpmejebus 04-23-2011 06:09 AM

My hubby's aunt!!!

whatever 04-23-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
It's someone who has no tact or enough talent to do things she wants to, so she (rarely he) feels it necessary to make snide comments about what more enthusiastic quilters actually finish with love.

you nailed this right on the head........

Julianna 04-23-2011 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Quilt Police = Snooty, Old(no matter what thier real age is), Noseybodies, that have nothing better to do then find something to Tsk Tsk about in a quilt.

Over heard ONE (yep just one) at a quilt show today. "SHE machine quilted. Her hand stitching isnt even. He didnt miter his corners. blah blah blah" I then heard someone ask her if she had entered a quilt...are you ready? "Oh, I dont quilt, I dont even sew. I just like coming to quilt shows because my DIL has to drive me and she doesnt like spending the day with me" You think????? Poor DIL.

RIGHT ON! I think I know her, and several of her sisters! :twisted:

milleroch 04-23-2011 06:21 AM

At one point in time, many long years ago, there actually were quilt police (but that was in Europe).
"The art of making these exquisite quilts was first popularized in France and soon became highly favored in England as well. Because they were in such demand eventually French weavers developed a way to make these beautiful textured quilts on a loom. The bedcoverings they wove came to be called Marseilles quilts."
...and because they were in such demand merchants in Marseilles who found whole cloth quilts impinging on their business, bribed the mayor of Marseilles and made wearing or using whole cloth quilting illegal. Hence, the quilt police stood outside windows at parties, peering in and would arrest anyone who was wearing any whole cloth quilting (bodices etc. were whole clot quilted and quite beautiful).
You may reference "trapunto" or "whole cloth quilts" on the computer