Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who are the "Quilting Police" .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-%22quilting-police%22-t118033.html)

maryb119 04-23-2011 08:19 AM

Quilt police are people who like to point out the mistakes of others but still make the same mistakes themselves. Ignore them.

mommafank 04-23-2011 08:21 AM

QP certainly are no friends of mine and if I see one coming I run as fast as I can. Surely they are lacking in confidence or something.

ChrisB 04-23-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
It's someone who has no tact or enough talent to do things she wants to, so she (rarely he) feels it necessary to make snide comments about what more enthusiastic quilters actually finish with love.

Good answer! My sis always told me "It's your quilt, make it however you want it!"

Holice 04-23-2011 08:22 AM

Ok. All very well said. However, does anyone talk back to these "know it alls" Perhaps it is time.

GloBug 04-23-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Overly opinionated quilters who believe they are always right.

Or non quilters. :twisted: who are jelous of talented others.

ChildoftheUniverse 04-23-2011 08:46 AM

I have met the enemy and they are "Quilt Police".... eeeekkkkkkkkkkkkks!

Pat G 04-23-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by labtechkty
Since I'm new to quilting I have often wondered who the "Quilting Police" are and how do they get elected??? I mean are they people whose ancestors taught them to quilt generation after generation or are they people who just happen to have alot of talent and declared themselves police over all quilt domain???? :hunf: just asking.... :roll:

My interpretation of the quilt police is that they are all in our minds. When we're too fussy about our work & have the feeling that somebody is going to criticize our work, that's where the quilt police our. In our minds...........LOL

M.I.Late 04-23-2011 09:03 AM

Holice has it right:

Overly opinionated quilters who believe they are always right.

And I'll add:

They don't even have to be quilters. Just unnecessary critics.

svenskaflicka1 04-23-2011 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
. . . they will say that "that" quilt is an abomination of fabric, never taking into consideration that the one who made it cannot afford to go to or does not have a LQS, so she/he relies on available materials.

Whenever I meet some of these "Experts", I always ask them if they've seen the Museum exhibit of the Gee's Bend Quilts. Now "those quilts" will send the quilt police into catatonic shock.

the gee's bend quilts are a tour de force! i love quilts made from sheer determination and will, that warm and shelter those they are made for. talk about ingenuity--the quilts speak to the ability of people to "make do", and do it beautifully. i think i'm assigning myself a quilt made of "found fabric" in the house. no purchases allowed! i know there are some old flannel shirts lurking, and some old work pants... hmmm....

Alondra 04-23-2011 09:15 AM

The Quilt Police are self-appointed judges of all things quilting... no particular education or experience necessary. I've found the best way to turn them off is to answer them with something like "Well... that's surely ONE way....." (with a smile and a nod). That drives them bonkers, because there's no answer that would extricate them from the situation they've created. It's always their way or the highway. <G> Oh, well....