Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who are the "Quilting Police" .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-%22quilting-police%22-t118033.html)

fayzer 04-23-2011 06:22 AM

Those are the people we ignore.

Gerbie 04-23-2011 06:23 AM

I really think the only true Quilting Police are ourselves, critizing and doubting OUR own work, and complaining about what we should or should not have done with a particular quilt.lol
However that being said I do know a lot of "know it all" people who quilt and think their way is the only highway and they make a point of trying to find something wrong with everyone else's work whether ask or not.

svenskaflicka1 04-23-2011 06:52 AM

the q.p. exist only in their own imaginations. hubby describes such folk as being "so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good". these are the ones who will tell a four year old that there is no santa, that the easter bunny is a pagan symbol of fertility, and that there are NO fairies. they usually look as though they were weaned on a pickle.

they will try to tell me that i can't quilt because i'm a relative beginner. they will say that "that" quilt is an abomination of fabric, never taking into consideration that the one who made it cannot afford to go to or does not have a LQS, so she/he relies on available materials. they will criticize handquilting, never taking into account the age of the quilter--too young to really be trying such an ambitious project--or too old, and the arthritis has overtaken their lives. they are the spawn of the grinch, and their collective hearts are several sizes too small. they have lost their sense of wonder, of awe, that someone could tackle something they've never approached before, and DONE it! and best of all--they fail to appreciate that the best quilts are the loved ones, and the done ones. pretty, perfect UFOs can't warm a heart or a home.

i say leave them to their own devices, and harden your heart to any bad things they say. as has been said here, most of them are "wannabe"s. it's about the joy of doing, designing, making, finishing and gifting--something most of the QP never experience!

dixiechunk 04-23-2011 06:56 AM

I think they are self-appointed and don't worry, you'll know one of these varmints when ya see 'em!

catmcclure 04-23-2011 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by labtechkty
Since I'm new to quilting I have often wondered who the "Quilting Police" are and how do they get elected??? I mean are they people whose ancestors taught them to quilt generation after generation or are they people who just happen to have alot of talent and declared themselves police over all quilt domain???? :hunf: just asking.... :roll:

They're the crafting/sewing version of "Church Ladies".

catmcclure 04-23-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1
. . . they will say that "that" quilt is an abomination of fabric, never taking into consideration that the one who made it cannot afford to go to or does not have a LQS, so she/he relies on available materials.

Whenever I meet some of these "Experts", I always ask them if they've seen the Museum exhibit of the Gee's Bend Quilts. Now "those quilts" will send the quilt police into catatonic shock.

quilter1943 04-23-2011 07:01 AM

I'm going to print this out and put it in my sewing room because I know the entire squad from my old guild!!! Very well said Ramona.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
It's someone who has no tact or enough talent to do things she wants to, so she (rarely he) feels it necessary to make snide comments about what more enthusiastic quilters actually finish with love.

Toni-in-Texas 04-23-2011 07:51 AM

I think the quilt police are people who think there is only one way of quilting and it happens to be "THEIR" way and they don't mind expressing their opinions no matter how many feelings they hurt. I try to distance myself from them because I love to quilt, even if I don't do "perfect".

reeskylr 04-23-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
this is the only person i've met that was willing to admit to being the "quilt police"

http://leslietuckerjenison.blogspot....lt-police.html

Now that was funny :)

nangars 04-23-2011 08:18 AM

I had finally finished my BOM quilt top and desided I wanted the back to be in Muslin, one of my friends said that wouldn't look good, that I should go buy a backing fabric because the muslin would make it look like an old quilt not a new quilt. I asked a couple of other fellow quilter and they said who's quilt is it, yours or hers? Guess this goes under the quilter's police for sure.