Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who is the most frugal quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-most-frugal-quilter-t189093.html)

jlm5419 05-16-2012 04:32 AM

I was very frugal the first time I made a quilt. I had only one machine (from the 70s), scissors, no rotary cutter, and used scraps from clothing to make the quilt. The backing was an old sheet, and brought to the front to make the binding. I used yarn ties instead of quilting.

I still use mostly older machines, but now I have rotary cutters, rulers, and a new-to-me quilting machine. I still like to make scrappy quilts.

QuiltingCrazie 05-16-2012 04:44 AM

I'm proably there just in the gadgets respect. I own 4 rulers, 1 rotary, 1 mat. I use old quilt magazines for patterns and a few new ones. I own 4 quilting books and 10 patterns. I currently have two brother sewing machines both under $200. 1 iron and board. Mostly due to the DH I try to make due with those things. Now fabric is different I love fabric, he indulges me on it because he knows I love it! He still complains but I don't spend on anything else!!! I just got done with "the warm quilt" which is done with cord, jean, flannel, fleece, homespuns because I have material left from making the kids clothes. I don't buy pillowcases either because you can make them!!

gramarraine 05-16-2012 05:11 AM

Certainly isn't me since I own 8 machines counting 2 sergers and my brand new Pfaff Creative emb machine. I also like all the gadgets I can afford and the latest fabric I see.

mhansen6 05-16-2012 06:06 AM

Definitely not me and I have a sewing room full of quilting "stuff' to prove it.

elizajo 05-16-2012 06:13 AM

Quilting is my artistic indulgence. I enjoy the process and creativity, and only make things that appeal to me. In my mind, every penny I spend on quilting is recreational, so I tend to spend wisely. My weakness is rulers, of all things (not frugal). I'm always looking for something that is more accurate and that I can see better. All three of my machines, a vintage Bernina 830, a restored Singer 15-91, and a Brother serger were gifts. (frugal) I use them all for garment sewing, but only one of them for quilting-- my Bernie.

Most of my quilting fabrics come from Thousands of Bolts because of the low prices (frugal?) and the site organization by colors. I have a cutting plan for all fabrics so they don't hang around in stash forever. (frugal?). I don't upcycle clothing or clothing fabric scraps in my quilts because the fabric is rarely suitable. (not frugal) So far, I haven't been able to find a local source for quality used men's shirts for a few dollars. Most of them are more expensive per usable inch of fabric than yardage from Thousands of Bolts. However, since I love shirting plaids, I will buy them-- (not frugal).

If I was guided only by frugality, I would spend much less money on cheaply manufactured bedding and use the quilting time for canning home-grown vegetables or some such activity. All in all, my hobby is not very frugal.

klutzyquilter 05-16-2012 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5219466)
hmmm... I don't think the frugal quilter would be on the internet, wasting time like the rest of us...

:) Chuckle :) Chuckle :)

kountrykreation 05-16-2012 07:05 AM

I don't think frugal AND quilter can be used in the same sentence (back in the day maybe, but not in todays world). The bulk of my stash was all purchased from estate sales, but at the same time, my toy room is filled w/toys.

rjwilder 05-16-2012 07:08 AM

I have only one machine on our RV, does that count? LOL Seriously, most of probably have enough stuff to outfit a new quilter with everything she would need. I'm bad, I see it, want it, I buy it.

rainagade 05-16-2012 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5219559)
Oooooh, ooooh!!! I've been using up bits and pieces of odd spools of thread and bobbins, on parts of things that won't show! That ought to count for something! :p

I have been doing the same thing. Thread is not suppose to last forever. They say if you keep it in the freezer it lasts longer. Do I dare suggest we purchase anther freezer just for thread........ DH would really think I need to be committed.

I just used all my mauve and yellow on a scrappy quilt. Scrappy quilt, scrappy threads!
I do try to watch the amount of dollars spent on this. I have all the "good stuff" but when it come to specialty things (rulers for just cutting dog ears?????) i pass.

I have a fantastic stash. I purchase sale sale fabric. I am now in training. When there is a new project I HAVE TO USE SOMETHING FROM MY STASH to go with it.

Then I crazy quilt, old clothes go into the bin after I cut it up. <---- i am hoping this qualifies me.

fayeberry 05-16-2012 07:37 AM

The most frugal quilter I ever knew was my late mother. Cut her squares from a paper pattern by hand with scissors. My Dad bought her a Singer when he went to Korea in 1952 and she never had another machine. Stitched all her quilts together by hand. I look at them and see fabric from my old maternity tops (also made by her), curtains and daughter's childhood dresses. Though they would not be of much value to anyone else, they are priceless to me.