Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who is the most frugal quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-most-frugal-quilter-t189093.html)

Jingle 05-16-2012 11:33 AM

No I'm not frugal, I was when I was younger now I don't have to be and won't be. I buy whatever I want or need. Money saved will go my heirs and I bet they won;t save it either. This life is the only one we get, enjoy it or loose it.

BarbaraSue 05-16-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5219466)
hmmm... I don't think the frugal quilter would be on the internet, wasting time like the rest of us...

Good point!! lol
I have too many machines if owning them keeps me off. I could say I'll only use one machine to sew it, but I like my rotary cutter and mat too much to give them up.

sandy l 05-16-2012 01:14 PM

Well, I better learn some frugal. Just figured up how much batting I'm going to need for all of my quilt tops, YIKES!! Thats just the ones I got put together, not any of my bucket list.:eek:

ptquilts 05-16-2012 02:03 PM

Well, I am not surprised to find not too many froogies on the QB!! But in our defense I think a lot of us have a "magnetic" personality that attracts spare sewing machines. I know at one time I had about a dozen portables (I don't think I paid for more than a couple of them). People want to get rid of them and we have to give them a good home.

RCOGGINS 05-16-2012 02:40 PM

Frugal quilter? What is that? lol Not this chic by far!

ube quilting 05-16-2012 02:41 PM

Frugal doesn't necessarily mean cheap. It can mean buying quality products so you have no waste and quality tools so they last a long time Spending good money one time is frugal rather than spending good money after bad.

I love all the people that can turn some leftover fabric into amazing quilts. I am striving for this. I hope for at least one year I can buy only batting and thread! I am doing this month by month with the help of the QB! Hurray
peace

Neesie 05-16-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5221780)
I know at one time I had about a dozen portables (I don't think I paid for more than a couple of them). People want to get rid of them and we have to give them a good home.

Seems quite a lot of y'all belong to the Sewing Machine Rescue Society! :)

jeanharville 05-16-2012 05:55 PM

I can't claim to be extremely frugal, but I do wait for sales, hit the garage sales and other secondhand places to accumulate fabric and sewing "stuff". I love a bargain. I compare my bargain hunting to a man's game hunting. Both of us must have the tools to do the job, then we have to go (several times & places) where the game are (woods, fabric stores) to determine what is there, plan for the kill or project. Must be patient, know what to look for, then know what to do with it when you get it. It's a sport and for me, it is more fun when I bag the bargain.

This has been a fun and interesing thread. Thanks for getting it started.

nancyw 05-16-2012 06:05 PM

Not me either. Although 2 years ago I took 10 classes through my guild and got all the fabric from my stash. But I have three sewing machines aniron for my sewing room and one to travel with(the infamous Rwenta travel iron), severalrotary cutters, umteen rulersand cuuting mats. And I keep buying more quilting books, must be the retired libraian in me.

irishrose 05-16-2012 06:45 PM

Men's shirts are 50 cents at the church rummage sale. I think I'll have a go at them after people who want them for shirts have their chance to purchase them. My attempt to be frugal for the month.