Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who is the most frugal quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-most-frugal-quilter-t189093.html)

nstitches4u 05-16-2012 06:50 PM

I don't think I qualify! lol

Norma

Pat G 05-16-2012 08:15 PM

I have to admit that in the early days of my marriage & having 2 babies, I'd save every pc. of basting thread so I could reuse it. I was self taught & it just made sense not to just throw it away.

Just today, as I made runners, I used the whole bobbin worth of thread til it ran out before reloading.

Dawn227 05-17-2012 02:55 AM

Well, aside from too many machines and tools I would have to win hands down. By the time I can get to my sewing I am just too tired so I use nothing at all ever! /;>(
dawn227

Eliebelle 05-17-2012 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith (Post 5219321)
I'm not eligible. Usually, if I like it, I buy it (within reason).

Me too!!! I spend W A Y too much on fabric!!!!!

Lavada 05-17-2012 03:37 AM

Frugel not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ptquilts 05-17-2012 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G (Post 5222532)
I have to admit that in the early days of my marriage & having 2 babies, I'd save every pc. of basting thread so I could reuse it. I was self taught & it just made sense not to just throw it away.

Just today, as I made runners, I used the whole bobbin worth of thread til it ran out before reloading.

I baste with hand quilting thread so as I take it out I use it for hand quilting. DH will save the thread from taking out a seam, if you do it all from one side you wind up with a long piece on the other. He squeezes a nickel so hard he makes the buffalo burp.

willis.debra 05-17-2012 04:04 AM

I am a frugal quilter.
I have one machine. A white rotary from the 50's bought on craigslist for $50 with all attachments and in the cabinet with the stool.
I buy clothes from a thrift store or yard sale but only if they are 50 cents or less.
I only buy fabric that is on clearance for less than $2 a yard.
I baste with thread not spray.
I buy poly batting from walmart.
I hand quilt and my thimbles cost me only $1 each several years ago.
I make my own templates for piecing and quilting.
I buy scissors for $1 cause it costs more to sharpen old ones than to buy another pair for $1.
I buy needles at walmart. round cases with about 20 needles for $3 or less.
I use razor blades to rip.
I use sheets for backing usually. I did find 108" backing fabric at walmart for $6.97 yd. a few months ago.
I did buy a rotary cutter and 3 clear rulers (12" sq., 6" sq. and 6"x24") and a cutting mat recently. I love the rulers. Barely use the cutter and mat.

I consider myself pretty frugal. But it is by necessity. I love this cause it gives me more ideas on how to save money and how to do things easier and quicker.

Ittap 05-17-2012 04:10 AM

Not me, machine in basement, machine upstairs (for smaller projects) and a machine in Texas (when I visit the kids/grandkids). Fabric is hauled between states with stops to various quilt stores.

ardnas 05-17-2012 04:10 AM

My Mother-in-Law would have qualified, although we did get her fabric at garage sales. I introduced her to rotary cutting, but she wouldn't use one--templates and sissors only for her! One of her favorite patterns was 'Apple Core.' Sadly she died two years ago (still quilting ) on her 96th birthdday. Miss her everyday.

LynnVT 05-17-2012 04:12 AM

So far I vote for Ashley in TN as being closest to the goal here. I am very frugal about many things, and since I retired a year ago am really watching my pennies. But I do not qualify for the "extreme frugal" prize stated above. This is a fun thread, though. Thanks for asking the question!