Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who is the most frugal quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-most-frugal-quilter-t189093.html)

BellaBoo 05-16-2012 07:49 AM

I have found over the years that someone who is too frugal is not someone I like to be around. They have a flat line effect on me. I'm not frugal in my quilting at all other then to buy on sale and save my fabric scraps. Now household budget? I buy the cheapest consumables I can find other then food.

SouthPStitches 05-16-2012 07:57 AM

Better yet, the truly frugal quilter probably wouldn't even own a computer. I save where I can lately. Buy a lot from Connecting Threads, wait for Joann's coupons to pick up reasonably priced batting and notions, hand quilt my own projects. Keep trying to depend solely on my stash but there's always one elusive chunk of fabric I seem to have to buy before I can bring the whole project together.

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5219466)
hmmm... I don't think the frugal quilter would be on the internet, wasting time like the rest of us...

happylab 05-16-2012 08:03 AM

Thirty years ago maybe. When I first started quilting my first attempt queen size quilt, (using left-overs from scraps I had made from dresses and my husband's shirts). It's still a UFO. That was my 1st scrappy quilt. At that time there wasn't, any roto cutters or mats. I made my own templates out of cardboard etc. It took me a long time to make a quilt. But we all know times change and so did I. Now, I'm a modern day quilter, who just love to buy new gadgets and pretty fabric. Then make quilts I want to make.
No I'm not a fruger quilter anymore.

SuzyQ 05-16-2012 08:30 AM

I'm definitely out LOL. I don't have time to be frugal <grin> but I do save and try to use all the scraps. When I get too many i donate them to a local quilting group. If I didn't have my tools I wouldn't be quilting.

Suzy

jaly3162 05-16-2012 09:04 AM

I thought I was a frugal quilter until I read some of the other post, and I guess I'm not. I do save lots of scraps that I cut up into squares and strips to make scrappy quilts. I do cut up my husbands shirt to use in quilts and I still cut off the buttons on clothes that we no long wear and I do NOT need another button. I inherited both my grandmother's and mother's button boxes.

Latrinka 05-16-2012 09:09 AM

I was, up until about 2 yrs ago!

AshleyR 05-16-2012 09:22 AM

I have to disagree with the "frugal wouldn't have a computer/internet" comments... my computer has paid for itself, probably more than once. It's a tool too.
Yes I waste more hours than I care to count playing games, and reading blogs and chatting, but I also find recipes, compare prices, learn how to ____ all from the comfort of my home, thanks to the computer. My husband found his job and works online from home.

If it weren't for computers, I wouldn't be quilting!

QuilterMomma 05-16-2012 09:39 AM

We are defining frugal: To me in this day and age, frugal would be a person who utilizes to the fullest every advantage of quilting possible. I am so frugal with my quilting time, I save all my little pieces taht are 3/4" or larger sorted in a special bin for a quilt of that size or a dq, I do not even throw away selvages, they are in a place of their own to be used for a project, which they have, my batting pieces are put as stuffing in projects such as pin cushions, stuffed toys, etc., my small strips that you have at the end of the fabric to square up are even used for stuffing or if large enough, cut into squares and filed accordingly. I use to the very end of a spool of thread, if given to me, used that also. i take the buttons of old clothing that is going in garbage and recycle those as well. lace is recycled, most anything that involves my quilting is recycled. yes, I use the modern tools we are allowed to make an end result worth while. Our new machines are a wonderful tool to utilize all there is to offer. I do won two seam rippers, two machines, one serger, one gammil longarm, one laptop that is old and one desktop that is old. I am so glad we have these awesome amenities for ourselves in this day and age. Grandma used to do the box templates and I still do because they work, but I use a rotary cutter around them instead.

Sandra in Minnesota 05-16-2012 10:49 AM

The rotary cutter was the ONLY thing that got me interested in sewing. Hated sewing, but that new thing called a rotary cutter just cut like a dream - and didn't even hurt my left hand! Been quilting ever since my discovery.

stampinteresa 05-16-2012 11:00 AM

I made not use just sewing shears anymore but, I quit working full-time and only substitute or tutor. However, I have been here in Indy not working for pay; just staying with dad to give my brother and wife a break. So all that said; I only buy what I need and only on sale. If it is not on sale; I wait. I have found great bargains here on QB sales while I have been here. My newist machines are still over 15 years old. Several have been found by my brother at yard sales as gifts to me. Friends and family send people to me when a "sewing" relative dies with "sewing stuff". However, I am very good to go through and pick out things that I know others will use and have shared with the high school art department on many occasions b/c their funds are constantly getting cut. When you have hobbies that cost money, you learn to be frugal when you choose not to work and I find it fun to say how much I saved or what little it cost me. Especially with recycling old clothes and buttons. I may not be the most frugal but I give it my best shot. Enjoy all coupons for sewing and crafting items, yard sales etc. Will be following this thread. Teresa