Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why I Quilt..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-quilt-t47889.html)

Melody 06-01-2010 04:33 AM

That's it! you are so right.

ginnie6 06-01-2010 04:39 AM

same thing here. Not health problems but quilting lets me keep my sanity. Three years ago dh had either his midlife crisis or just a mental breakdown. Either way it changed our lives drastically. I had hard decisions to make. I started quilting a year ago and can't stop. Depression meds kept me out of a dark hole but that was it. Quilting gives me a purpose. I still have 4 kids to get up and out of the house and I imagine I will be quilting for a long time to come. When I'm working on a quilt for just a little while I can forget everything else. I can forget the money issues we have, I can stop worrying about the kids and dh, and just concentrate on my quilt. And at the end of it i ahve something special. Plus I feel a connection with other women who lived before. I sit there making the quilt and I think that countless women before me have probably used quilting to soothe themselves too......it just makes me feel a little better to know I'm not the only one in these shoes.

pollyjvan9 06-01-2010 04:45 AM

I quilt for all the above reasons, and then there is the pleasure it brings when someone just falls in love with a certain one and I present it to them.

Terryl 06-01-2010 05:43 AM

I began quilting when my grandson was born, I wanted him to have a quilt from his Ya-Ya. I'm one of the lucky ones in my family, that recieved a quilt from my grandmother when I was a teenager. Although the quilt from her has almost disintergrated over the years (brown and red fabrics). My grandson never ceases to melt my heart, last year he asked me to make a specific quilt (huntin) for him, then called me and told me it's his "lucky" quilt. (he's 6) My grandson now has probably 10 quilts from me and as long as he asks for another one he will get them :) :) My SIL actually asked me to make him one after my grandson's last quilt. I finished the borders yesterday and will start on the binding this week.

charvan 06-01-2010 06:21 AM

Quilting is excellent therapy; I find it really relieves stress. And I have something nice to show for my time.

Pam 06-01-2010 06:30 AM

I quilt to be creative. I am a pudgy, non descript middle aged woman with a wicked sense of humor. I quilt for me, to make the things I want, and I want to see and touch. I use a riot of color, while I usually just dress in black. My quilts are a way to put the REAL me out there, not the one you see on the outside.

I also love the idea that what I am doing has always been done, and always will be, a common thread running through eternity.

Mariah 06-01-2010 06:52 AM

Great story, and I think along the same lines. Quilting takes my mind off of things I can't do anything about.
I know I am not the best quilter in the world, but I do lots of other things, so figure if I like it, it is fine.
Hope your hubby is doing well. There are so many advances in medicine in most every field it is amazing. Things we never even heard of, even 10-15 yrs. ago, they are performing daily.
Prayers for you and your hubby.
]Mariah

Deborah12687 06-01-2010 09:42 AM

I am home all day by myself and some of the time the din of the house drives me nuts. I do quilting and other crafts just to keep busy and keeping myself from getting depressed some times I just give up and do nothing.

thismomquilts 06-01-2010 10:17 AM

I quilt because I love it. I can create and make and do for others all in one thing!! :)

Pamela Artman 06-01-2010 10:23 AM

I live, therefore I quilt!!! Seriously, I quilt for many reasons, because I love the process, because I love fabrics, because I love quilts, because I love spending time with my quilting friends, because my grandma did and I feel her watching me - using her machine, her fabrics, because there's such a wonderful feeling that comes from creating something beautiful and showing it off!! Because it's just a large part of who I am. I am and always will be a quilter.