Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why I Quilt..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-quilt-t47889.html)

grandma Janice 06-02-2010 03:46 PM

I can't paint or write a book but the creative part of me can make wonderful quilts, and it's so relaxing.

kacy 49 06-02-2010 04:29 PM

My husband also has a defibrilator and pacemaker. He is on his 2nd one. He was 48 when we found out about all of his heart problems. I think almost every part of his heart has something wrong with it. However since he had his 1st implant he has done so much better. He still works but want to retire next year. He does the yard work and pretty much whatever he wants to do within limits. I retired 2 1/2 years ago and started quilting about a year before that. I love being able to create things for others. dh is very supportive of my hobby. He goes to quilt shops, shows ect. He is a keeper.

betlinsmom 06-02-2010 05:40 PM

If I did not have hand work I would be dangerous!!!!

cowgirl 06-02-2010 05:57 PM

I really started after my Dad, Mom and last remaining Grandma passed away in 87 days time. That was two years ago and I felt so empty and need to be alone with my thoughts and feelings. I looked at my great grandmother's beautiful quilt and thought, "what would I leave behind?" I started quilting a table runner to put on my Grandma's beautiful table. I have found it has been a avenue of joy for me in a time that my life was falling apart. Life is getting easier through the help of my faith and family. But my growing passion for quilting has helped a lot.

Kathy N 06-02-2010 06:01 PM

I used to say it is cheaper than a psychiatrist however....by looking at my stash...not sure that is true anymore!!!

NewYearsOld 06-02-2010 06:12 PM

I agree to say that it de-stresses me. I can be in my own little world. Everyone at work thinks I am crazy when I say I will go home to relax while I quilt. And I agree that I have a hard time leaving the house when I really need to be in the garden. :) I started quilting after my mother died suddenly 6 years ago. She taught us 3 girls to sew. I also did the 4-H, Home Ec, etc thing.

HAPPY QUILTING!

Alondra 06-02-2010 06:17 PM

Bless your heart! I pray for your husband's complete recovery, soon! Thank goodness we have quilting. I know I don't know enough people to give away all the quilts I want to make, but that's ok - the process of making them is my sanity.

momymom 06-02-2010 06:18 PM

Next month I will be married 29 years.19 of those years I was an Army wife. I always sewed, but one fatefull day I walked into a quilt show and was invited to learn to quilt. Through all the years of deployment, sick kids and being lonely, quilting was my salvation. It kept me sane. I learned about me, and how to be strong and independant.Now, he's retired from the Army, the kids are almost grown. The last 2 will be on their own next year.

Alabama Belle 06-02-2010 07:27 PM

That's what my hubby did....... his heart went into V-Tack (ventricular fibulation). He was on a moniter at the time and was in the hospital for his stomach...NOT his heart. I'm not sure how much longer I will have him, but since Dec. every day is a gift to me, to us and to our family. I am never alone.we have 8 grandsons who visit, stay over.and now with school out, they tend to live here. Told my son tonight he may have to help with groceries. Not sure how long I can feed these grandmonsters! They are 14, 14, 13, 11, 5, 3, 1 & 9 months.

dkabasketlady 06-02-2010 07:32 PM

Quilting has also been a stress reliever for me for various reasons, loss of my DGM, loss of a family pet and a variety of health issues. I'm not as able to do yard work, so I create in the sewing room. I just escape and relax. My DH is very supportive in my addiction.