Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why I Quilt..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-quilt-t47889.html)

Ps 150 06-02-2010 07:41 PM

Quilting saved my sanity, too. I've been sewing for 4 years but had never quilted before. Last June, during an emergency appendectomy, the doctor's discovered I had an advanced bleeding condition, endometriosis, and would need a full hysterectomy. Six weeks later I was under the knife again and headed for a 6 week recovery and an even longer emotional recovery. I was turning 27 and had to give up any other chances of more children. When menopause or grieving would hit, I could always retreat to my sewing room, alone, and work through the pain and frustration. I didn't know how to quilt so in my first few weeks at home I poured over quilting how-to books and then learned by trial and error. It's not been a year yet but quilting makes it much easier. You're in my prayers and, almost as important, you're not alone.

jane65us 06-02-2010 08:36 PM

Quilting sooths my soul...

dsj 06-02-2010 09:55 PM

I get a bit stressed when I am piecing with the machine. I really enjoy all the handwork. I can sit for hours and not think of anything at least I never remember what I am thinking about. It is so peaceful and comfortable. I am perfectly content and happy quilting.

Lynnc 06-02-2010 11:52 PM

I can maybe go a month or two without creating something but I start to get fidgety and want to scream if I don't create something. It is my fix. For a while it was painting, now quilting.

quiltruth 06-03-2010 02:28 AM

Thanks so much for bringing this topic up with all of these comments. How encouraging. I enjoy this Quilting Board so much and you have helped me with many ideas. It's just been 2 days that I've been home from the hospital with surprise changes in my life, which include being on dialysis 3 days a week now and it's been a tough roller coaster ride since my health had been good til now. I kept wondering will I get back to sewing quilts or is my life now that far gone? Your comments have uplifted me so much, that now I think I may be able to enjoy my new found love of quilting again. Thank you.

mar32428 06-03-2010 03:38 AM

Now that I live alone, I can relax and do what crumbles my cookie at the time. I have to pace myself because of health problems but that doesn't stop me. I get up very early and work in the yard for an hour or two. Then it gets hot so inside I come to have a cuppa, read the paper and reflect on the day's prospects. Do I clean, do the laundry, scrub the floors, make the bed, go grocery shopping or decide it will all be there tomorrow and go sew. Sewing is my little paradise whether it be crafts, quilting or making clothes.

Eventually, all the other stuff gets done.

grammypatty7 06-03-2010 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Alabama Belle
I grew up in a home where my Mom sewed for us 5 girls. She taught us early, I did the 4-H thing, Home Ec, the usual. Over the years, I sewed for my own children and for pleasure. It was hit or miss, when the mood struck me. But last December 8th, my hubby was in the local hospital when his heart stopped. After 45 minutes, he again had a pulse, was transported to a larger hospital, and 13 days later he had a defibulator and pacemaker implanted. The DAY we came home, I started cutting quilt blocks and sewing. I haven't stopped since. Piecing quilts has been my salvation, my nerve pill, it has saved my sanity. It destresses me, keeps me from worrying. Now the garden is needing work and I am having to divide my time. It's hard to lay the scissors down and walk away.

Oh yes, quilting is very addictive but also very theraputic and healing. Go for it and it enjoy it every possible moment.

purplemem 06-03-2010 05:14 AM

Dialysis is difficult, I expect to have that challenge as I am in stage 3 of kidney failure. CKD. What about doing a QAYG, hand quilting something really special in the blocks. That will give you something portable while sitting...

Of course, Jinny Beyer hand pieces ALL of her quilts, so that is something to strive for :wink:

dar627742 06-03-2010 05:44 AM

hi all.......my storyis pretty much the opposit, iwas quilting every day,dh bought me a new brother pc6000 & a white serger.loved them.ayr later we found he had colon cancer & died 6 mo. later.that was 2001,& never turned on either machine again,until about 2-3 months ago,thanx to my best friend who wouldn't give up on me!what took me so long?!!!i'm almost finished quilting a full size[if you've read my other posts,you know the problems w/ the brother]ihave another one ready to sandwich! i'd forgoten all the good feelings told by all of you that are coming back!have lots of health problems,but helps to take my mind off them sometimes,too.now,if i could get my machine to co-operate,i'd be in hog heaven ! sorry this is so long,had to vent& thank you all for your support & help.feel like i've made lots of new friends! love,dar

Pam 06-03-2010 06:16 AM

What a great question and a varitey of answers, I just read through them all again and I found the common thread. "I quilt because I can. It brings me peace, joy, beauty and comfort".