Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why I Quilt..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-i-quilt-t47889.html)

QBeth 06-01-2010 11:45 AM

My heart and prayers go out to all of you with health issues or family with health problems!!

Quilting exercises the other half of my brain, the non-technical, creative half. I'm not smart enough to be a star at work but, lo and behold, my quilting sometimes gets me a "That's beautiful! you're so clever!!" I don't need much praise, or very often, but I can be satisfied with those little sparks for a long time. _:-)_

My little quilting room is my space. I love rainy/snowy Saturdays because I can hole up in my haven, turn on the SciFi channel, and quilt to my heart's content.

littlehud 06-01-2010 04:52 PM

Hope all is going well for you hubby. I find quilting to be relaxing and that's why I do it.

Alabama Belle 06-01-2010 07:35 PM

He is much better, but will never be well again. He is 56 years old, has 7 stents in his heart, the defibulator will restart his heart if it stops again (God willing). Nothing is 100%. I also battle depression and take meds. But I have discovered over the years, sometimes we have to kick ourselves in the hiney in addition to what Doctors can do for us. Quilting gives me peace in my soul, causes me to exercise my brain. It also gives me a legacy to pass down to my 8 grandsons. Each and every one have claimed one or several of the quilts I've made. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
Donna

Connie Merritt 06-02-2010 04:13 AM

My thoughts are with you. My husband had MS and I was his caretaker (best moments of love I cherish). During those years (about 8) I did many projects to save my sanity and the fear of losing him. For many many hours I did redwork embroidery (hundreds of blocks). Little did I know that was going to give me a reason to quilt after he passed. I did not think of anything but quilting when working at it. I believe our mothers were right when we were told, use your hands to make good, cook, preserve, create and your mind will be okay. Thanks MOM

Marilyn1 06-02-2010 05:35 AM

Quilting releives my stress too. My husband too has had sever medical problems that has changed our lives completly.
When I sew I feel like I am in another world and the problems are going into my quilting. Glad I'm not alone.

tarbender30 06-02-2010 07:29 AM

Glad to hear you hubby is doing better. My hubby had very bad heart troubles too only his heart would race all the time, like 1000 miles a hour all the time, and he had something put in that would start his heart again when it would stop. And now I am all alone day & night, except for my pet, Max, and I don't go anyplace sometimes for a month or better, so quilting gives me a reason to get up every day. I have always done crafts or any and all types ever since I was about 8 years old. Now I just turned 56 this past Saturday, so I have been crafting for a lot of years.
It keeps me from bordom a lot of days.
If I ever loose the use of my hands, you might just as well shoot me.
Good Luck to all
Bev

Pam 06-02-2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by tarbender30
Glad to hear you hubby is doing better. My hubby had very bad heart troubles too only his heart would race all the time, like 1000 miles a hour all the time, and he had something put in that would start his heart again when it would stop. And now I am all alone day & night, except for my pet, Max, and I don't go anyplace sometimes for a month or better, so quilting gives me a reason to get up every day. I have always done crafts or any and all types ever since I was about 8 years old. Now I just turned 56 this past Saturday, so I have been crafting for a lot of years.
It keeps me from bordom a lot of days.
If I ever loose the use of my hands, you might just as well shoot me.
Good Luck to all
Bev

Port Huron is beautiful this time of year! Max would love to go to the lake, take him for a walk.

Happy Needler 06-02-2010 07:45 AM

First and foremost, I am so glad that your husband is OK. Secondly, yes quilting is a great stress releaser and I to am glad to be one of the many who enjoy the peace it brings. You are both in my prayers.

gramquilter2 06-02-2010 09:04 AM

I like the "I live therefore I quilt. My grandmother and my mother both quilted and I never wanted to until I quit my job and saw a beautiful embroidered quilt in a quilt store-I wanted to make it for my granddaughter. My husband bought the machine and I set to work on a quilt with no pattern and have been hooked ever since! I find it relaxes me and I have with drawal when I haven't set down at a machine for a few days.

GrammaNan 06-02-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alabama Belle
I grew up in a home where my Mom sewed for us 5 girls. She taught us early, I did the 4-H thing, Home Ec, the usual. Over the years, I sewed for my own children and for pleasure. It was hit or miss, when the mood struck me. But last December 8th, my hubby was in the local hospital when his heart stopped. After 45 minutes, he again had a pulse, was transported to a larger hospital, and 13 days later he had a defibulator and pacemaker implanted. The DAY we came home, I started cutting quilt blocks and sewing. I haven't stopped since. Piecing quilts has been my salvation, my nerve pill, it has saved my sanity. It destresses me, keeps me from worrying. Now the garden is needing work and I am having to divide my time. It's hard to lay the scissors down and walk away.

Ditto! Keep it up girl. If you can, hire someone to do the yard work and keep quilting. If not, I hope that gardening brings you the same feelings. I am here for you if you need a shoulder