Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wonder-under problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wonder-under-problems-t65583.html)

Joan 09-19-2010 10:48 AM

Occasionally, I have had the same problem with wonder-under. I usually just try another corner or different place on the piece if it is stubborn. Do let it cool. And thanks for the idea to slide a straight pin under it to loosen it. Great idea.

leatheflea 09-19-2010 10:56 AM

Make sure its cooled for quite awhile. I let mine set for an hour or so while I do other things.

amma 09-19-2010 11:09 AM

I lightly score the center of the wonder under paper with a pin. Stay away from trying this on the sides, as you can fray your fabric or stretch it :wink:

MadQuilter 09-19-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I have encountered that same problem often. I take a straight pin and scratch the paper backing in the middle, ripping it a little. Grab one of the torn edges and pull off what you can. Continue until it's all off.

Also, re-ironing it can help it release. You can try to roll a corner/point between your thumb & forefinger to see if it will begin to release. This only seems to happen to me when the Wonder Under is new. With the older stuff (really old) the paper didn't want to stay stuck to the webbing long enough to get it ironed to the fabric. However, when finally ironed down, it did release nicely. Go figure.

That would have been my answer too.

ghostrider 09-19-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jdavis
On the same subject, the instructions refer to the iron being "hot" (or is it "warm?") and I always wonder why they don't just say "cotton setting" or "Wool setting." It seems to me they used to specify.

The temperature depends on the fabric you are using it with. If they said "cotton setting" and you used it on silk, you'd have a mess. I believe it says the hottest setting for the fabric used, but I'm too lazy to go dig it out and look. :oops:

jdavis 09-19-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider

Originally Posted by jdavis
On the same subject, the instructions refer to the iron being "hot" (or is it "warm?") and I always wonder why they don't just say "cotton setting" or "Wool setting." It seems to me they used to specify.

The temperature depends on the fabric you are using it with. If they said "cotton setting" and you used it on silk, you'd have a mess. I believe it says the hottest setting for the fabric used, but I'm too lazy to go dig it out and look. :oops:

I was too lazy, too. Thanks for your input!

PennyLynn 09-19-2010 12:22 PM

I take a straight pin and scratch the paper backing in the middle and it comes up a little at a time,

Mariposa 09-19-2010 12:41 PM

I just use Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite. Lots less hassle~

quilt queen 2 09-19-2010 01:19 PM

A lady at my guild says she puts it in the freezer overnight says it works great!

sdeaaz 09-19-2010 03:27 PM

I had to switch to a generic brand that I bought at Hobby Lobby.... I used the product the very same way... I did let it cool a little longer... but not an hour... it peeled fine.... maybe my wonder-under is old. I did email Pellon, so we'll see what they say. Quilter 1234