Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wonder-under problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wonder-under-problems-t65583.html)

annettewink 09-19-2010 03:42 PM

I finally got tired of fighting Wonder Under and started using Misty Fuse. I love this stuff. The hand is amazing, it doesn't gum up my needle and it stays stuck.

Annette

Dodie 09-19-2010 06:28 PM

I have also had so many problems with wonder under so I switched to heat and bond lite make sure it is the lite as the regular is for crafts and will really gum up the needle anyway no more problems works much better

renda 09-20-2010 03:09 AM

You must use a dry iron. NO STEAM. I keep one iron for day and one for steam. Sure solved alot of problems for me. Also use the pen to scratch in the middle.

Marge L. 09-20-2010 03:35 AM

Wonder Under is the only one I have used for years. When that happens, I figured that my iron was too hot. Not sure,but as all are saying, let it cool a while. Also found that counting off the seconds so you don't iron too long. Works for me. Good luck. Know it's frustrating.

eparys 09-20-2010 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by quilter 1234
I had to switch to a generic brand that I bought at Hobby Lobby.... I used the product the very same way... I did let it cool a little longer... but not an hour... it peeled fine.... maybe my wonder-under is old. I did email Pellon, so we'll see what they say. Quilter 1234

I will be curious to see what they say. I , like yourself and many others, have had this happen - my solution is to let is cool completely - then if it is still misbehaving (lol) I hold the edge - paper side up and pinch is - making a fold in the paper and then roll it between my fingers. Once you have released one edge the rest peals off just fine.

Chatfield 09-20-2010 06:20 AM

I do the pin trick as well. It works....

grannypat7925 09-20-2010 06:48 AM

If you can't get the paper off, try scoring the paper with a straight pin, crease at the score mark and peel back from there. This is what I do and it works.

Lori S 09-20-2010 07:08 AM

I have had this frustration with Wonder Under. I re- iron and put it in the freezer . It works to separate the paper from the fusible since they react differnently to the cold.

quiltmom04 09-20-2010 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I have encountered that same problem often. I take a straight pin and scratch the paper backing in the middle, ripping it a little. Grab one of the torn edges and pull off what you can. Continue until it's all off.

Also, re-ironing it can help it release. You can try to roll a corner/point between your thumb & forefinger to see if it will begin to release. This only seems to happen to me when the Wonder Under is new. With the older stuff (really old) the paper didn't want to stay stuck to the webbing long enough to get it ironed to the fabric. However, when finally ironed down, it did release nicely. Go figure.

Or if you press it too long - that makes it stick, too.

lynnie 09-20-2010 10:32 AM

I've switched to heat and bond, it seems to work better for me, i have the same probs you do with it