Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You could have knocked me over with a feather!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/you-could-have-knocked-me-over-feather-t228215.html)

GagaSmith 08-18-2013 04:02 PM

I once returned a piece of fabric to Joann's because it continued to bleed no matter what I did. I hand washed it in the sink (I do that with all fabric before putting it in the washing machine to check for color fastness). I took it back and told them I could not use it in a quilt due to the bleeding. They took it back no problem.
I don't think I would ever try to return it just because I didn't want it or like the color.

AuntieD 08-18-2013 05:10 PM

I have returned fabric that was flawed but never for any other reason. Good thing to know.

mom-6 08-18-2013 07:43 PM

It never occurred to me to even consider returning fabric!
Unused clothing pattern, maybe if it was the wrong size. Otherwise I figure it will eventually get used.

NanaCsews2 08-18-2013 07:55 PM

I have never returned any to JoAnns as I have only bought 2 different fabrics and those were the Legacy Studios fabrics that to me are of good quality. I have returned a few pieces of yardage to Hancock Fabrics due to the lack of 3-4" cut at an angle from each piece. So frustrating. They used to have the counters that had the cutting guides built in, now they just eye it up and cut. After questioning different 'cutters' about this on a few occasions, and getting a rather smirky reply, I now frequent my LQS only. They did take back the fabric as I kept the yellow UPS sticker for the fabric pieces. Makes no sense they don't line up the selvages and measure the fabric correctly. The only thing I haven't found returnable are patterns and books due to copyright reasons.

EvieD44 08-19-2013 03:37 AM

I knew about taking fabric back to JoAnns too but never have......once I've bought it I go home and just admire it!! Once I bought a 3 yard cut online at an online shop. I was making fleece blankets for Christmas, and they sent me 3 separate 1 yard cuts! So I e-mailed them and they told me to keep the 3....1 yard cuts and they sent me a continuous 3 yard cut!! So I was able to make smaller blankets out of the 1 yard cuts. I thought that was nice of them. I was willing to send it back too. I agree with others ...........it must be a crime to take fabric back!

mjhaess 08-19-2013 03:55 AM

There are people that do strange things...JoAnn's does that for good business. I would not have the nerve...

craftygater 08-19-2013 04:02 AM

I bought a bolt of white muslin at Joann's to cut in squares for a memory quilt for my daughters wedding. I unrolled the bolt, washed it, then started cutting it into 1 yard pieces to be more manageable. I found a stain that went thru the entire bolt in a position that i lost a good foot from each piece. I bundled it all together and took it back. They exchanged it for a different bolt. I opened the bolt there to check it out before leaving. I have also taken fabric back as long as it hasn't been cut and have the receipt. They took it, no problem.

janeknapp 08-19-2013 05:21 AM

I helped a friend with an upholstering job where the expensive 10 yard cut (special order) from Joanne's had an oil/grease mark in the middle of rolled tube. We did not see it until a few pieces had already been cut. The store manager was willing to return it and give us additional fabric from the in-store roll, but it wasn't a good color match. We were able to recut the original piece in a different way and were refunded $78 which was generous thinking we might get $22 back. I suggest always having the entire roll or bolt opened to view before taking it home from the store. You might have thought it would have been noticed when rolled for the special order at the warehouse, but I suppose automation and inattention let it slip by unnoticed. Joann's staff were very understanding and helpful.

Normabeth 08-19-2013 05:42 AM

I have returned material to Joann's - I purchased patrotic fabric on line, when I received it, it had way to much glitter in it. I wanted to make Quilts of Valor, but the glitter would make it to feminine - I emailed them, they told me to return what I couldn't use, so I did, I returned all of it. NormaBeth

berryberry 08-19-2013 05:49 AM

I was buying some fabric from them and noticed a flaw in the pattern. If I hadn't noticed before/while it was being cut, I would want to be able to return it. That's the only reason I would return fabric any place I bought it.