Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/youre-right-dear-i-only-have-%24100-worth-fabric-hah-t87346.html)

Stitchit 123 01-04-2011 04:58 PM

I was lucky my agents Mom is a quilter so he knew just by looking that I under-estimated by a couple thousand not including any of my old ladys

jetnica 01-04-2011 05:01 PM

so here's the question:

Can I have renter's insurance if my name isn't on the lease?

I live with my boyfriend and he has renter's insurance. he pays for the insurance. he pays the rent.

i don't think it would be fair to ask him to pay more insurance money to cover my stuff - but i have a decent amount and would like to have it covered. (we had a leaky roof issue last year, and while i've moved stuff from the danger zone, it would be nice to know that i could replace my machines if they were ruined.)

so, can i get renter's insurance if my name's not on the lease?

Gabrielle's Mimi 01-04-2011 05:09 PM

It's right up there with telling my weight!

boosgmom 01-04-2011 05:23 PM

Lucky you! I would live in the Blue ridge too if I could. I just get to visit but someday!!!!!!!!! Where are you located? I am from SW Va.

sandpat 01-04-2011 05:44 PM

Thanks for bringing this up...I just talked about it with my DH ( a retired insurance agent!)..He suggested that I take pics of all of it since I have no receipts. Since we have "replacement costs" that will be enough for our agent. Whew!

Jet....call your insurance agent and ask them..all situations are different.

brushandthimble 01-04-2011 05:48 PM

This is all my agent tells me, take pictures our policy covers replacement. I think I need to talk to her instead of DH.

Originally Posted by sandpat
Thanks for bringing this up...I just talked about it with my DH ( a retired insurance agent!)..He suggested that I take pics of all of it since I have no receipts. Since we have "replacement costs" that will be enough for our agent. Whew!

Jet....call your insurance agent and ask them..all situations are different.

msquiltalot 01-04-2011 06:01 PM

My DH says there's no way our insurance agent would believe my numbers. DH thinks my fabric stash rivals the cost of our home. ;-)

DBW 01-04-2011 06:04 PM

I had replacement value on my contence. Which I made higher than the house value. But when I had a fire,contained to the kitchen, The smoke damage was everywhere. I was told I had too much. I must be a business. The 18 finished baby quilts in the den were runird, but not covered. The one saving grace was that my stash in my sewing room was not damaged. The other 3 bedrooms were. Why? I closed the door to keep the cats out. So good luck trying to cover your stash. I was told I could not cover "a business" in my homeowner ins. But do keep the door shut when not in rooms upstairs or down the hallways. Makes a huge difference!

Therese 01-04-2011 06:04 PM

Omigosh, BUSTED! I just moved and my husband built shelves for my 14 ft long fabric closet. I filled it all up, 5 shelves worth. I'm glad he didn't ask how much I thought it was worth. Might be funny to get a number from him though! Wow!

mygirl66 01-04-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jetnica
so here's the question:

Can I have renter's insurance if my name isn't on the lease?

I live with my boyfriend and he has renter's insurance. he pays for the insurance. he pays the rent.

i don't think it would be fair to ask him to pay more insurance money to cover my stuff - but i have a decent amount and would like to have it covered. (we had a leaky roof issue last year, and while i've moved stuff from the danger zone, it would be nice to know that i could replace my machines if they were ruined.)

so, can i get renter's insurance if my name's not on the lease?

It would be worth a phone call to ask if you have to be on a lease. I would hate to see anyone loose their stash, and not be able to replace it.