Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   You're right dear, I only have $100 worth of fabric...hah! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/youre-right-dear-i-only-have-%24100-worth-fabric-hah-t87346.html)

SewExtremeSeams 01-04-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I would never confess it outloud to anyone...lol. If my house ever burned down or something terrible like that, I would just buy more fabric and less kitchen accessories!...since I don't cook much anymore these days.

Oh my... let me pick myself up off the floor... :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't stop laughing.

I am most definitely with you. Maybe not even clothes or furniture... it just has to be maintained. Oh dear, how am I going to get serious for the rest of this day? LOL!

sunshineglenda 01-04-2011 01:08 PM

He would probably said 500.00 but that is no where close.
I know I spend at least $100.00 a month every month on fabric or patterns and I have a large closet full of fabric and four shelves in my sewing room full of fabric and about five good size baskets full too. Have no idea the worth of all of it. Since Walmart closed I buy everything from a quilt shop at approx. $7 to 9 a yard. and you know you can't buy just one yard.
Plus I have a quilt frame and machine,one Pfaff and one Janome embrodiery machines, a Juki (I use to use for quilting before I got the Nolthing) and a Pfaff for sewing. I would say with everything I have for quilting & embroidery it is over $30,000.00

Tweety2911 01-04-2011 01:10 PM

I wonder if any one of us really knows the true monetary value of our stash? It would be hard to me to even guess. I would have to use the bin method and multiply by occupied space :lol:

mpeters1200 01-04-2011 01:29 PM

I went through this exact thing last night with our insurance rep. I have a small apartment with a little closet to keep my stash in, so needless to say, fabric wise 100.00 is probably accurate. It was explaining the machine I got on clearance was worth 800.00 that got my DH's jaw dropping. Then the agent himself had no idea, so I started explaining how much I had put into the fabric, batting and notions into a queen I had just finished. Hubby was not happy, but it was his quilt so what can he say?!?!

clair 01-04-2011 01:37 PM

LOL :lol: thats an Idea, try it if works . I'll check with my dl she works for bcbs . :D

Carol B 01-04-2011 01:43 PM

Can relate to the shoe story! Went for a holiday to Brazil to see my sister and while I was there I was overcome with the shoe buying gene (passed down to me from my mother) and bought 11 pairs of shoes! Had to purchase a new case in order to bring them all home. The look on my DH's face when I opened the case was priceless. He still talks about the Brazillian shoe extravaganza and the holiday was 6 years ago.
PS bought another 2 pairs in the first week after I got home as there were some great sales on!! Didn't bother to mentions those to my hubby cos I thought he may go into cardiac arrest!!!!!!

bunniequilter 01-04-2011 01:44 PM

"Current replacement costs".....very very important. My policy in my previous house which was a rental specified replacement costs and the important word was "current".

QultingaddictUK 01-04-2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
I wonder if any one of us really knows the true monetary value of our stash? It would be hard to me to even guess. I would have to use the bin method and multiply by occupied space :lol:

To me it is not what the value actually is rather than what it would cost me to get enough together to restart on my favourite hobby, the cost would be phenomenal as I have bought so much on Sales etc; and I really couldn't do without my quilting for very long.

My Sister laughed when I moved down here a few years back, my quilting area was the last to be packed and the first to be unpacked and my machine and invaluable tools came in the car with me for safety, and my peace of mind :roll:

bunniequilter 01-04-2011 01:54 PM

My Sister laughed when I moved down here a few years back, my quilting area was the last to be packed and the first to be unpacked and my machine and invaluable tools came in the car with me for safety, and my peace of mind :roll:[/quote]
Exactly!!! When i moved I told the movers if you touch that box(my machine) you had better hope your Mommy is close by because when I get done with you, you will be crying for your Mommy. One mover asked me what was in the box, when I told him he says to the other mover, back away from the box, DONT touch the box. Turns out his Mommy is a quilter too so he knew what to expect if he touched my sewing machine. :evil:

echoemb 01-04-2011 02:39 PM

great story. I bought a new Juki and when the sig other saw it a year later, I just told him I had had it for years and years (this also works with new clothes). I am now single, loving every moment of it and don't have to explain anything to anybody. BTW, he complained loudly and often about that sewing machine but not one word was ever said on my part about the room full of brass (at a cost of $1-2000 each) model railroad engines. I figure if you can afford it and want it, buy it.