Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
printing on fabric with a laser printer? >

printing on fabric with a laser printer?

printing on fabric with a laser printer?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 AM

You can use laser printers to print on fabric. The heat issue is about using pretreated fabric sheets like Printed Treasures. Laser heat can soften the adhesive. Not a good thing inside a printer! If you use fabric and freezer paper, the heat is not a factor. The permancy of the image through the multiple washings a bed quilt would get may be, but for seldom/never washed wall quilts, lasers are wonderful. There are ways to 'fix' the image, but most change the hand of the fabric. There is a wealth of information about laser printing on fabric on the web these days so go take a look (be sure to check the date of the article though).
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by ghostrider
You can use laser printers to print on fabric. The heat issue is about using pretreated fabric sheets like Printed Treasures. Laser heat can soften the adhesive. Not a good thing inside a printer! If you use fabric and freezer paper, the heat is not a factor. The permancy of the image through the multiple washings a bed quilt would get may be, but for seldom/never washed wall quilts, lasers are wonderful. There are ways to 'fix' the image, but most change the hand of the fabric. There is a wealth of information about laser printing on fabric on the web these days so go take a look (be sure to check the date of the article though).
Thank you I don't know know why I don't think of checking web sites first but I see so much info on this site that I just love it!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 AM

I bought some fabric sheets to make labels for my quilts but they won't go through my inkjet printer (HP) and on the package it says not to use a laser jet printer. Wish I could get my money back on this :(
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I bought some fabric sheets to make labels for my quilts but they won't go through my inkjet printer (HP) and on the package it says not to use a laser jet printer. Wish I could get my money back on this :(
Did you adjust the printer to take thicker material. Mine would do that and the fabric/paper would go through. Of course I didn't figure this out for myself but that's beside the point!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:07 PM

This is new information for me, thanks.
The last I had heard was that laser printers might burn the fabric, but if there is new technology I'm all for it.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:38 PM

My dil and I tried to print on fabric with a laser printer and it looked beautiful but it all washed out. We even tried a solution of fabric glue used as a fixative and it still washed out. I am searching for a special fabric that can be used. The color was beautiful.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Cyn
Has anyone printed on fabric using a laser printer? We have a new one and I don't want to ruin the printer or material. I was going to use the sheets that you buy especially for this. I had good luck with them on the ink jet printer. I had also tried the "make your own printable material" and had some sucess with that but it was hard to get to run through the printer without jamming.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Eri

I would never consider printing on fabric with a laser printer--I work in technology and have had several of different brands over the years, both home and high-end level.

Even if the toner (laser printers don't use ink) is colorfast, I would be worried 1) about getting lint in my expensive equipment, and 2) about burning the fabric--laser printers run hot, and color lasers even hotter. Plus, they are considerably more limited in the type of media they will accept and function with. And if you have a warranty, I'm sure attempting to print on fabric will violate it.

Compared to buying a new printer, paying $18/yard at spoonflower.com or another POD fabric place seems downright cheap!

I wish it were realistically possible, though... toner is so much cheaper than archival fabric ink jet ink! :)
Old 07-30-2011, 07:07 AM

My DD ran over 30 pics. thru a laser printer, not realizing that's what it was. She was making a memory quilt for a wedding gift. The pics and quilt came out fine. This was several years ago and i know the quilt is used alot. she has seen it recently and it is fine.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:17 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday View Post
I printed out small facial features to use in a small wall hanging. I ironed the prewashed muslin onto the shiny side of freezer paper and fed it through the printer. However when I told this to several quilters, many of them laughed at me and told me that the ink would rub off because laser printers aren't like inkjets. However, when I first printed it out I couldn't get it to rub off, so felt I could use them. And by the time the laughing began I had already finished and mailed the wall hanging to my friend... She says it still looks great and she won't give it back.

"...she won't give it back" LOL...Love that!
Old 09-25-2020, 03:27 PM

I destroyed my laser printer trying to put fabric on freezer paper through it. It jammed and ruined the roller I had a terrible mess. I loved that laser printer and will someday buy another but will not use it on fabric again. To much money invested to take another chance like that. The laser cartridges' are very different from ink jet as we all know. I just know never again.