Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Printing Photos >

Printing Photos

Printing Photos

Old 01-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Printing Photos

I have been having trouble trying to print photos for my memory quilt. I have used both June Tailor Print and Press transfer sheets for ink jet printers and June Tailor Colorfast fabric sheets for ink jet printers. Neither one comes out good at all. I believe it is my printer. Even with new ink it still doesn't print well.
Does anyone know if there is some place I can send these to be printed on the Fabric sheets. None of the print shops in my area want to do it. This quilt is three years in the making and has been a disaster. I would just like to finish it and be done. Thanks for anyone that can help. I live in Livonia Mi, near Detroit.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

spoonflower.com makes custom fabrics so i imagine that they will be able to use your photos for the custom fabric
Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I have seen a booth for this service at a couple of quilt shows, so I know it exists. Their process leaves the fabric flexible too. Will post if I can find them online somewhere.

Here's one I found:
http://conniescorner.org/phototransfer.htm

Last edited by Prism99; 01-07-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:40 PM

I understood Staples can do it. Just call them to make sure.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I understood Staples can do it. Just call them to make sure.
Staples uses laser jet printers not ink so don't think they can print on fabric unless it has changed since i worked there
Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 AM

Are you using an ink-jet printer, I believe it does not work on laser printers
Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

a good 'Photo Quality' printer is a must for printing on fabric- you need a printer that is made to print good photo's -- have you tried places like Office Max or Staples?
not sure what is happening with yours to know if we can help with what is going wrong. I've printed lots of pictures on fabric- sometimes I *mess up* & forget to go through my printer settings & get every thing set correctly---you need to choose options like *best quality* (there are usually print setting choices- that include how much ink you want the printer to use on the print) so, checking the printer settings and choosing all the correct ones before hitting print helps. also, make sure you follow the instructions completely on the packaging. I've seen good fabric photos come out of inexpensive printers- just have to get those settings right. do some practice prints *either on paper, or you can iron freezer paper to the back of muslin & use that until you get the settings right for the best quality print. do a search on line- there are many articles/ tips/ helps for fabric printing.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:01 AM

I also have used Spoonflower.com more than once. very
pleased with their work. and turnaround time.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Kinko's does this with their special printers ... I asked when I saw they printed on T-shirts which the customer would provide.

Also, for printers it is best with the side feeding printers and NOT using Best printing.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Laser printers are fine for printing on fabric, they just can't be used to print on the chemically prepared sheets made for ink jet printers. It's the chemicals that get too hot, not the fabric.

I agree with those who say to try Staples, Kinko's, or Office Depot if it's a problem with your printer itself. Or how about asking a friend, in trade for a couple pot holders or something?