Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Priority Mail game

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by garysgal
    I went on line and ordered the boxes that they are using to ship stuff for the military. They were free. They go for $11.00 ( not absolutely sure of the cost. It was a year ago) and you can fill them as heavy as you want. they ship quickly and I think my soldier got his in one week and it went to Afganastan. (sp)
    Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to do that this Christmas.

8-)

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking that you know it would be wrong, if not illegal, certainly telling a lie. How would you feel if lots of people used that wonderful service for deceitful mailings and the program got discontinued because of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    a "care package" is one you get to fill and mail to soldiers, fill it with goodies to send to them. Sorry I wasn't clear on this,

it a big box, and all you pay is between 12-14 dollars for the box ,you buyit to send to the soldiers which is called "care package"

Wow.. will have to watch more closely at the P.O. I think this happened to me already and I didnt really understand what had happened till I left the post office. I will be more on top of it from now on.

[quote=sandpat]I'm thinking that you know it would be wrong, if not illegal, certainly telling a lie. How would you feel if lots of people used that wonderful service for deceitful mailings and the program got discontinued because of it?

I don't think anyone can use this unless it is going to a PO address. When I mailed mine, you had to fill out forms, so I don't think anyone can use it to mail something to just anyone, it has to be a soldier or someone in the military.

Blog Entries
    Wow, our neighbors mail us our mail while we are away in the winter (bless their hearts). We always leave addressed boxes for them and they pay the postage out of money we leave - I'll have to check out which kind of boxes we leave for them!!

You can wrap the boxes in plain brown paper and not have a problem.. If they question you, tell them you are recycling a box that you had... you are not lying. :D

Blog Entries
    Yes you can probably do that but only if you're using priority mail rates for the box. Otherwise it's still illegal.

And since you're going to use Priority Mail rates, there's no point in wrapping the box in paper! :D

Quote Originally Posted by HOB
    You can wrap the boxes in plain brown paper and not have a problem.. If they question you, tell them you are recycling a box that you had... you are not lying. :D
    Everyone who trys to cheat and pay less postage than they should is part of the problem of the rates going up....you can only blame yourselfs.

I have seen people trying to send toys etc media rate because it is cheaper...you do get caught....................carriers and clerks have watchful eyes that can detect alot.

yes I was a carrier...for 22 1/2 years....got to retire 7 1/2 years early with the early out Jan 2009.

Blog Entries
    no. and depends where they are stationed. mine was in Iraq. Took about 10 days to deliver,which now is in the states, will see him in a few weeks, yeaaaa

and thanks for the info about using those boxes for something else, I haven't done it, but good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by TheresaF
    Quote Originally Posted by HOB
    Everyone who trys to cheat and pay less postage than they should is part of the problem of the rates going up....you can only blame yourselfs.

I have seen people trying to send toys etc media rate because it is cheaper...you do get caught....................carriers and clerks have watchful eyes that can detect alot.

yes I was a carrier...for 22 1/2 years....got to retire 7 1/2 years early with the early out Jan 2009.
    The rates are not going up because some people are cheating. They are going up because the Post Office can't support itself on its current budget. According to the info I got from my PO, they cannot sustain themselves, hence the need to close two days a week, if they decide to do it. The Post Office is not like a grocery store-shoplifters causing the prices to go up. they go up because the Post Office has lost so much revenue, plus they have had to dip into "savings" to keep going. Personally, I would like to see them close two days a week. When I grew up, we didn't get mail on Saturday or Sunday, and we lived to tell about it. The Post Office is a good deal, and it is unfortunate that they are having problems, but as time moves on, and progress takes over, they will need to find other ways to bring in revenue.

Blog Entries
    yeah and a lot of "us" use email, facebook etc to send our mail as well, I don't blame the PO at all.....

Blog Entries
    Kathy N..dont turn the box inside out and try to use it..I did that, thinking I was saving a tree(you know, recycle) and the gal at the PO said NO WAY CAN YOU USE THAT BOX !!

while it's true that people don't write letters, pay bills by mail as much anymore, there is a LOT more package mail going around. Think of all the Ebay, Amazon etc. packages, being sent every day - 15 years ago there was hardly any of that. Heck, think of how much mail going around the country is generated by just this board!!

I still write "real" letters! Admittedly, not as many as I used to, but I figure my friends would like to get something in the mail that isn't a bill or junk mail once in a while!
    I think we have one of the best postal systems in the world & the least expensive to boot! When my sister lived in Australia, she was on an island off the coast of Queensland. Many times when I sent her a package, it would take an extra week or so to get to her...because the island mail carrier didn't feel like carrying the packages! Yikes!! The mail carrier would just leave them in her own house after picking the mail up from the water taxi.... They did finally get a new carrier btw. :wink:

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    while it's true that people don't write letters, pay bills by mail as much anymore, there is a LOT more package mail going around. Think of all the Ebay, Amazon etc. packages, being sent every day - 15 years ago there was hardly any of that. Heck, think of how much mail going around the country is generated by just this board!!
    A lot of the packages I get are delivered by either UPS or FedEX. Very few anymore are delivered by the USPS. Not counting of course packages sent by family, friends, etc. Just businesses. 8-)

Blog Entries
    I use the flat rate boxes every week. There is a difference in size between the small flat rate box and the small priority box the isn't flat rate. It is just a little bigger, but most people don't notice. Just make sure it says FLAT RATE on the box. I also use the USPS online service to mail my packages. I print the postage at home and save money each time I mail a box as you get a discount. You can schedule a pick up online and your postman will pick your packages up. I leave mine on the front porch for him. Of course the small flat rates will fit in my mailbox. If you haven't tried mailing online, you will love it. You do need a scale which are inexpensive on Amazon. Just get one that weighs up to 50 pounds. No more trips to the post office.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by fayzer
    I use the flat rate boxes every week. There is a difference in size between the small flat rate box and the small priority box the isn't flat rate. It is just a little bigger, but most people don't notice. Just make sure it says FLAT RATE on the box. I also use the USPS online service to mail my packages. I print the postage at home and save money each time I mail a box as you get a discount. You can schedule a pick up online and your postman will pick your packages up. I leave mine on the front porch for him. Of course the small flat rates will fit in my mailbox. If you haven't tried mailing online, you will love it. You do need a scale which are inexpensive on Amazon. Just get one that weighs up to 50 pounds. No more trips to the post office.
    Sounds like a win-win to me!

8-)

I had that happen with what I thought was a large flat rate box - ended up costing much much more - boy was I frustrated! Plus there are some labeled for APO addresses - they cost differently too!

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    Yes, they will get us only once and then we will have learned our lesson. I went through all of my boxes at home and NONE of them said flat rate. I will turn all of those inside out and use their "free" cardboard to mail other packages...just not priority mail.
    Just so you know, I believe that is illegal. All of the priority boxes I have seen lately, flat rate and otherwise, have priority mail printed on the inside too to keep people from doing this.
    Exactly!
    I, too, have been caught with the flat rate/priority trick, and I was not happy.
    Makes one wish for the good old days, when it was only the occasional Walmart clerk who was trained to type in an "error" once in awhile, doesn't it? LOL
    However, I do NOT think that our government or any merchandiser should be the recipient of just a shrug of the shoulders. Sadly, the only person one can deal with is the postal clerk, and she may be as unaware of the deception as you are.
    But, yes ... they have now taken to writing PRIORITY on the inside of every box on every side ... the P O is not a governmental agency (they say) however, they ARE heavily subsidized.
    UPS and FedEx are giving the Post Office a run for their money, so I deal (for the most part) with a local shipping store called "Goin' Postal" ... with the touch of a finger, the clerk can tell me which service will provide me the best shipping for the best price. Very handy, and about time someone with the wherewithal to compete actually COMPETES! Good show!

[quote=omak]
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Yes, they will get us only once and then we will have learned our lesson. I went through all of my boxes at home and NONE of them said flat rate. I will turn all of those inside out and use their "free" cardboard to mail other packages...just not priority mail.
    Just so you know, I believe that is illegal. All of the priority boxes I have seen lately, flat rate and otherwise, have priority mail printed on the inside too to keep people from doing this.
    Don't turn the boxes inside out and use them! I bought something from ebay and the guy did that and the post office said I had postage due (which the guy paid) but they said it is a violation of federal law to use the box for what it is not intended.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    I have saved so much time and money using Priority. Hate to see anyone having problems. Hope this doesn't continue.

I agree and just don't understand all the problems people seem to have when they try to disregard the rules and regulations to save a little bit. I mean there are so many more important things in life that rate in the getting frustrated mode than mailing packages.

Blog Entries
    My Secret Pal packaged was returned by the post office. I had to take it inside to remail and they ask for an additional $1.05 for the small flat rate box. I questioned why the flat rate box that should be $4.95 would need an additional $1.05. She said I was not using a "flat rate" box. I said yes I was, that I had gotten it from the post office and it is what I always used to mail my packages......well here is the catch. The post office had some printed with the words "small flat rate" and some without those words. The boxes are identical in all other ways. I happened to get one without the words which allows them to charge whatever postage they want. So folks....check your boxes carefully. Its so hard to believe our government would cheat us like that.....hahahaha
    Oh My Gosh...so their mistake but you had to pay for it? or is this a on going thing?
    thanks for sharing & giving us the heads up.

Power Poster
    I agree that one has to pay attention to what box/container/envelope one picks up and uses when mailing items.

It's aggravating when things are moved around - I'm such a creature of habit that I sometimes forget to look closely when I'm picking up some item - wherever that might be - the grocery store, discount store, etc.

But is it really the post office's fault when I'm ignorant or careless?

I've brought home fat-free mayonnaise by mistake because I didn't really pay attention to what I was doing. I suppose I could blame the store for having that product next to the one I really wanted.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5