Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Priority Mail game

My Secret Pal packaged was returned by the post office. I had to take it inside to remail and they ask for an additional $1.05 for the small flat rate box. I questioned why the flat rate box that should be $4.95 would need an additional $1.05. She said I was not using a "flat rate" box. I said yes I was, that I had gotten it from the post office and it is what I always used to mail my packages......well here is the catch. The post office had some printed with the words "small flat rate" and some without those words. The boxes are identical in all other ways. I happened to get one without the words which allows them to charge whatever postage they want. So folks....check your boxes carefully. Its so hard to believe our government would cheat us like that.....hahahaha

Wow, Thanks...I would have neve noticed that either!

Compare the cost of using a large envelope to a box. Ypu will be surprised at the cost difference.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Definitely true. There are three that say small, medium and large. Then to provide us with free priority boxes that will weight between the 10.70 and 14.70 they have five other boxes in the same shapes that just say "flat rate".
    I use those when it's too big for the 4.90 and not enough for the 10.70 and too big for the 10.70 but not enough eight for the 14.90. All the boxes do look alike. Luckily I have a small, one postmaster post office that is user-friendly and she is so helpful. Hope this adds to what KathyN posted. It's all in the print..ROFL Such is life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, good information. I had a mix on one of my mailings a while back, too. But, I'm not astute enough to figure things out.

Thanks, Ruth

Ok, I got tangled in that one Debbie. You are something else, but so special! hugz Ruth

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check the boxes from now on. :thumbup:

well for crying out loud!

and the real kick in the pants -

it cost them more than $1.05 to get that box back to you saying give us an additional $1.05.

thanks for the heads up!

Blog Entries
    This switch-a-roo happened to me also. READ the box carefully. It must say "flat rate". The boxes are the same except for those words. They are right next to each other, sometimes they are mixed together. I'm always sending "care" packages to my grown children. One time I had a large "what I thought" was a flat rate box full. I sent my husband off to mail it while I was at work. Later that night, he asked how often I send packages because he thought it was expensive. He paid almost $30 to mail it. When my daughter received it, I asked her to check on the box. Sure enough it was not flat rate. My lesson was learned.

Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Compare the cost of using a large envelope to a box. Ypu will be surprised at the cost difference.
    I agree, I've sent fabric in large manila envelopes at much less of a cost than the boxes. Check it out!

Yes, they will get us only once and then we will have learned our lesson. I went through all of my boxes at home and NONE of them said flat rate. I will turn all of those inside out and use their "free" cardboard to mail other packages...just not priority mail.

Blog Entries
    One time I sent dh to get me flat rate envelopes and the ones he brought home were not flat rate. I didn't even notice (or think they made them in a non-flat rate variety) so when I went to send something, they charged a bunch more shipping. DH didn't know so he paid it but boy was I ticked. They said it wasn't a flat rate envelope but THEY are the ones that gave them to dh or told him where to find them. I just wonder if he said he needed a flat rate envelope and they pointed to them and there were some non-flat rate mixed in for some reason. So now I always check.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy N
    Yes, they will get us only once and then we will have learned our lesson. I went through all of my boxes at home and NONE of them said flat rate. I will turn all of those inside out and use their "free" cardboard to mail other packages...just not priority mail.
    Just so you know, I believe that is illegal. All of the priority boxes I have seen lately, flat rate and otherwise, have priority mail printed on the inside too to keep people from doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Just so you know, I believe that is illegal. All of the priority boxes I have seen lately, flat rate and otherwise, have priority mail printed on the inside too to keep people from doing this.
    They also charge Priority rates if you wrap those boxes in brown paper before mailing. They have sole use of the sizes and can make you unwrap the box to prove it's not "one of theirs". If you refuse, they will not mail it. It's a matter of survival for them so they aren't messing around.

I have saved so much time and money using Priority. Hate to see anyone having problems. Hope this doesn't continue.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    They also charge Priority rates if you wrap those boxes in brown paper before mailing. They have sole use of the sizes and can make you unwrap the box to prove it's not "one of theirs". If you refuse, they will not mail it. It's a matter of survival for them so they aren't messing around.
    This is DEFINITELY illegal and will result in the recipient being charged postage due at priority rates. DON'T DO IT!!! Even wrapped in brown paper, the clerks know the size and shape of the PM boxes. You can't even re-use a used PM box unless you are also sending it PM.

I run into the opposite problem, the PO's only carry the flat rate boxes. You see someone come in and want to mail their item PM, it won't fit in the small one, so they have to put it in a $10.70 FRB - well maybe it is just a piece of clothing and only weighs a pound, $10.70 is way too much. If they had a reg. PM box it would go for $6 or so.

Blog Entries
    This is absolutely ridiculous. Anything to make a buck!!!

Blog Entries
    Actually I disagree. The PO gives those boxes away at no charge because the cost of priority mail pays for them. I bet postage would be incredibly high if they were to give out boxes for parcel post or media mail or whatever. Even though postage seems high sometimes, I think it's actually pretty cheap compared with some other countries.

Actually I disagree. The PO gives those boxes away at no charge because the cost of priority mail pays for them. I bet postage would be incredibly high if they were to give out boxes for parcel post or media mail or whatever. Even though postage seems high sometimes, I think it's actually pretty cheap compared with some other countries.
    I have to agree with you. Their boxes, their rules. Can't follow their rules, don't use their boxes. Simple as that. You can send things priority in any box, just not flat rate.

I have a friend who works for the PO and she says she also thinks it is illegal, but she is the one who told me to do it. I used to take all the tyvek envelopes and turn them inside out, but I have noticed the writing on the inside no.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I have to agree with you. Their boxes, their rules. Can't follow their rules, don't use their boxes. Simple as that. You can send things priority in any box, just not flat rate.
    That is fine as long as they are marked well enough for everyone to understand what they are using! My post office is very good and lets you know what is what, and will make every attempt to help you save money. I know in larger areas you do not always get this kind of service! They have even stuffed things in the small box for me when I didn't think it would fit, and taped it well, so that it wouldn't pop open.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    That is fine as long as they are marked well enough for everyone to understand what they are using! My post office is very good and lets you know what is what, and will make every attempt to help you save money. I know in larger areas you do not always get this kind of service! They have even stuffed things in the small box for me when I didn't think it would fit, and taped it well, so that it wouldn't pop open.
    My PO is the same.. its such a smal,l one woman shop. Shes as wonderful as can be.. she's always trying to save me a buck..I cant complain at all.. she even suggests that i take it out of the box I had and gives me something else to put it in so that its even cheaper.. Then shes tapes it up for me too !!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast