Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A problem with Frixion pens?

A problem with Frixion pens?

I have been using the blue, black and red frixion pens to mark my quilts with great satisfaction. The marks always disappeared with an iron.

Then I bought a set with two lighter colors (+ one dark), pink and orange, and whoops! I changed my mind about quilting the pattern and when I ironed the marks I am left with a ghost image. Has anyone else had this happen and how did you get rid of the marks?

There were less than 24 hours between marking and trying to erase.

Blog Entries
    I have read that some of the frixion pens leave ghost marks on certain fabrics. These seem to be bleached marks that do not come out.

Another problem with frixion pens is the marks don't really go away. When you iron the marks they seem to disappear (most of the time) but when your fabric gets cold they come back. In other words the ink never goes away. I do use them but only for practice.

They aren't bleach marks, but will fade with time and washing....something I've learned from personal experience....I think it's what is left of the ink.....the pens are great on light colors/prints, but I choose washable markers for solids or dark fabric.

Blog Entries
    The ink will wash out with soap and water. I just toss my quilt in the washer when I'm done. I haven't had any color of the pens come back even with the sample I put in the freezer. The sample was laundered before freezing. I'm not concerned about my quilts lasting for future generations, they can make their own. LOL
    Got fabric?

Thank you all for the optimism -- I hate to give these pens up, as nothing I have tried otherwise will make such thin lines (and stay there long enough to quilt over).

I've used ceramic pencils to make lines on quilts - those pencils seem to work well. I like frixon pens but don't use them for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    I've used ceramic pencils to make lines on quilts - those pencils seem to work well. I like frixon pens but don't use them for everything.
    Do the ceramic pencils rub off without laundering?

Has anyone used soapstone pencils for marking?
    Pros and Cons, please?
    And how do you get them to disappear?

Thank you!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

The chemicals in the Frixion pens do stay in the quilt - not sure how much washing it takes.

Now many of us are not quilting for show - but here is a quilt show horror story that I heard last night at Harriet Hargrave's trunk show. Quilter completes quilt, removes lines with heat. Quilter later enters quilt show in Minnesota. Ships quilt which travels in belly of plane - sub-freezing temperatures then is in postal warehouse which is also quite cold on the way to the eventual show delivery. All marked lines reappeared and were there while quilt hung in show.

I also don't know if the chemicals will eventually harm the fabric. I'm still figuring out which I like best but prefer things that I can brush of the surface like chalks or pastels.

Cheers, K

I love Frixion pens! Actually, I like the fact that cold brings them back. I am doing Redwork embroidery on quilt blocks. I read here that Redwork works better with a lining. I trace the design on the fabric with a black Frixion pen, then iron a sheer interfacing to the back. Of course my design disappears. I put the block in the freezer and my design is back. With the interfacing added before tracing the design, the design is much more difficult to trace. Since I am embroidering over the lines, they would not show even if they did come back. I also use the pens on my quilts and have never had a problem. I use only black and usually test it on a sample of the fabric before using.

Blog Entries
    The quilt should have been washed before sent to a cold climate after using the Frixon pens. As many blogs and quilt articles that have said to wash the ink out, and now the story about the show quilt, it should be common knowledge about the pens now.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I prefer not to use the Frixxion pens, they are not designed for use for quilting. I first found them about 5 years ago and contacted Pilot, the manufacturer. The customer service representative couldn't tell me if they were archival quality. Quilters have gone nuts over them and I think Pilot has found a niche market for these pens, so of course now they claim the ink is archival.

I actually prefer to use products that are designed and manufactured specifically for marking on fabric, such as tailor's chalk. My one exception is soap - I will sometimes use a sliver off of a bar of soap to mark dark fabric.

I was given one of those for Christmas a while back. I was afraid to try it. I do not know what the chemicals in these different pens will do to fabric over twenty years time. I am happy to just stick with ordinary chalk.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

They come out in the wash.

Great idea, thanks I plan to use this on my next embroidery project!

Blog Entries
    I used the lighter frixion pen on a tshirt. It left a ghost mark on the shirt. It washed out with Orvis soap. I was told that the frixion pens are a chemical and you need a chemical to remove them completely. To use Orvis soap. I have had the ghost marks on several dark fabrics and so far they have washed out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The ink will wash out with soap and water. I just toss my quilt in the washer when I'm done. I haven't had any color of the pens come back even with the sample I put in the freezer. The sample was laundered before freezing. I'm not concerned about my quilts lasting for future generations, they can make their own. LOL
    I've not put my quilt into the freezer, but when I washed DH's quilt, the few "shadows" that existed after I ironed the marks disappeared completely! I, too, was a little concerned, but not any more! I'm thinking I'll be using them a lot!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Check out this video by Don Linn (Mr. Quilt). I've not tried it yet but think it might be a great way to mark quilts for fmq. Scroll down to the video.
    http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2012/0...torial-by.html

Blog Entries
    if you dont iron the lines made when using frixion pens wash out first and they will not come back
    esther

I love the Frixon pens and have not had a problem with the ink not removing when ironed. I do a lot of applique and they come in so handy for placement of the pieces.

I like your attitude , I make mine to be used and enjoyed not collectors.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I've only used Frixion pens on light colors. I changed my mind, ironed it and away the marks went. Since I don't plan to keep the quilt in a freezer, I don't anticipate any problems. So far, I haven't found anything better. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    Thank you all for the optimism -- I hate to give these pens up, as nothing I have tried otherwise will make such thin lines (and stay there long enough to quilt over).

The quilt should have been washed before sent to a cold climate after using the Frixon pens. As many blogs and quilt articles that have said to wash the ink out, and now the story about the show quilt, it should be common knowledge about the pens now.
    BellaBoo, I heard the story about the quit in the plane more than a year ago, but not everyone reads these wonderful threads. And I've heard that some people here don't read them every day! ! ! How could they have so much fortitude? So common knowledge to us may not be for everyone. LOL

Today this board had a tute on how to sandwich a quilt. No mention of school glue. I'm using glue to sandwich my quilt today. The back is on and it's time to do the top. I had thought that school glue was getting to be common knowledge, also.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

i love my frixion pens!!! They are the best to mark and i'll second the fact that they wash out when thrown in the washer. And get this - I found them at the school/teacher supply store - for CHEAPER than anywhere else. I had school supply money to spend and since I don't know which bldg I'll be in next year or which grade I'll be teaching - i bought about 6 of them!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

A lot of good information on here about Frixion pens...have never used but think I might as I am very frustrated with the quality of other marking pens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast