Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Problem with hook in a Bernina

Problem with hook in a Bernina

I took my Bernina Aurora 450 in to be serviced and the dealer says I have a nick in the hook of my machine. Estimates $550.00 to send to factory to replace. Has anyone else had this problem?

Power Poster
    Is the machine sewing fine? Unless the thread is catching on the hook, I would not replace the whole hook. I would think a qualified Bernina technician would see if it could be fixed with an Emory cloth.

Blog Entries
    Ouch. I have a 440QE. I’ve never had this problem. Did the dealer indicate how this might have happened?
    Valerie

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Is the machine sewing fine? Unless the thread is catching on the hook, I would not replace the whole hook. I would think a qualified Bernina technician would see if it could be fixed with an Emory cloth.
    I agree with Tartan. If it's just a nick, they should be able to use an emory cloth and buff it out. I'd ask about it before spending $550 to replace. You might also try to find an independent repair guy. If SM dealers are anything like car dealers, they don't fix, they replace.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Wow! I just checked the price of a replacement hook assembly and the retail on that is $300! Usually we can just polish the nick out. If your tech knew how to do the job himself/herself, it would cost you a lot less. I would consider taking it to a different shop.
    Annette in Utah

He found the nick but didn't do the first reasonable thing like sandpaper it down? What a cop out. I've noticed many Bernina dealers who have a repair on site only do cleanings and a machine with any problem has to be sent off for repair. One told me his job was to find the problem but not repair it. Saves the shop from being responsible for any mess ups.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

That's ridiculous! I broke my hook back in October and paid less than $80 for a new one from my Bernina shop.
    Lesson learned for me- don't fly over pins!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    That's ridiculous! I broke my hook back in October and paid less than $80 for a new one from my Bernina shop.
    Lesson learned for me- don't fly over pins!
    A good dealer and repair is so important and so hard to find.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.