Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Problem >

A Problem

A Problem

Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 AM

I have a friend who makes beautiful quilts. We share our "show and tell" and she expects high praise. If she doesn't get it, she lets you know. When I show my projects I am often disappointed to get an "Oh, that's nice" or "Oh that's cute". Very unenthusiastic. My quilts are nice, neat, and would certainly keep any one warm. I am a traditional quilter. At any rate, I don't want this to affect our friendship, however, it is very disappointing to me when I give her high praise and lots of "oooo's and ahhhhh's" and I get this flat, "Oh, uh-huh". Any advice?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 AM

I think I'd quit showing her my quilts. If her opinion made me sad, I wouldn't listen to it any more.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I think I'd quit showing her my quilts. If her opinion made me sad, I wouldn't listen to it any more.
Thanks, I think you're right. Definition of insane? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?? Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 AM

I agree that if she does not appreciate your quilts then simply don't share. Plus you should be more honest with your reply, no extra oohs and aahhs then you feel. I have a feeling that she appreciates your traditional quilts more than she is willing to say, maybe she is jelous. If you have a strong friendship share your feelings with her, if it's a newer not so strong yet relationship then just share your quilts with us, we will give you the deserved enthusiasm. Let us know the outcome, and good luck.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 AM

If you show us your quilts, I bet you'll get PLENTY of oohs and ahhhhs. We appreciate all styles of quilting.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Thanks, I think you're right. Definition of insane? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?? Thanks!!
You just quoted something very wise from Alanon!! :thumbup:
Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM

I concur. The only opinion that is truly important for your items is you. Don't let this affect the friendship; just don't share your joyful creations.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

There is a woman that comes to my regular sew day group that is like that. Everyone seems to droop a little when she walks in the door.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Terryl
If you show us your quilts, I bet you'll get PLENTY of oohs and ahhhhs. We appreciate all styles of quilting.
I agree- We love to see pics and will enjoy them :thumbup: As for the friend realize that it will probably always be a one way street.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 AM

This is a friend???? Not in my dictionary. This is a competitor who has to come out on top or else. At least in quilting.

I'd be curious as to how others relate to her.

ali