Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems with Sewing Machine >

Problems with Sewing Machine

Problems with Sewing Machine

Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 PM

I am so frustrated with my Singer Inspiration 4220!!! Every time I try to sew on this thing the bobbin case moves around and the thread ends up jamming. Then I fix it and I am able to sew for a few minutes and then it happens all over again!! I have been messing with this machine for a great part of the day. I have hardly quilted anything! I was so frustrated my husband finally came over and put the bobbin case back in for me. Has anyone ever had this problem? I've only had this machine for a couple of years and quilt whenever time permits. My husband bought it for me as a starter sewing machine because he wasn't sure just how much quilting I would do. :-)
Old 06-02-2011, 05:46 PM

Sounds like you are not getting the bobbin case seated in just right. I recall there were a few Singer models that were tricky to get the bobbin mechanism in just right. You might need to have a repair tech check it out.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Your hubby was thoughtful but misguided. LOL. Did he start out with a learner power tool? It's time for an upgrade. Being frustrated with a machine is stressful and no fun. Be on the lookout for an older vintage mechanical machine like a Singer 15 or 301. They are usually very inexpensive, much less the a new one from Walmart and will still be sewing when your grandkids have kids.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:21 PM

This problem has been around in various Singer machines since at least the Golden Touch & Sew 750 (in 1972!) - maybe even in a few earlier ones.

I'm sorry - I know how frustrating it is. My Mother's 750 just about drove me to drink and my Futura embroidery machine is just as problematic - it's spent more time in the shop than it has embroidering. :?

If you only have time for quilting every now and then, I know you don't want to spend that time fiddling with the machine.

I would look around on craigslist and find a model 15-91 in a good solid cabinet. The heavier, the better. Spend $100 or so on that and then put another $100 into having the motor re-wired and buying replacement cord, light and foot control. You will have a wonderfully simple straight-stitch only machine that will give you perfect piecing seams and when you're done piecing, will do beautiful free-motion or machine driven quilting.

Some people kind of wrinkle their noses at the old machines and that's okay - not everyone likes the same thing, but if your sewing time is limited, the simpler machine is going to help you make the most of that time and give you the fewest problems. And you could find that the simple maintenance and cleaning is a soothing activity and very rewarding to take a dusty old cast iron machine and turn it into a smooth-running, shiny retro piece. :)

Good luck! :)
Elizabeth
Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM

I agree with the idea that some of the older machines will outlast even the more expensive machines today. Yesterday, I was working on a project on my $8000.00 sewing machine and finally took it to the old Singer 401 and completed the job with no problems. I can't say that for the 8K one but don't tell my husband.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM

check out a few garage sales, too...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. I truly appreciate it! :) I was finally able to get some quilting done but now that I have quilted the two fabrics together, I don't like the way they look :( I tell you it's one thing after another..lol!