Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Product to get out ballpoint pen ink stain? >

Product to get out ballpoint pen ink stain?

Product to get out ballpoint pen ink stain?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM

Also, try Goof Off paint remover (its safe for most fabrics). Available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 PM

Looks like hair spray is the favorite so I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm not expecting miracles since it's already been through a wash and the dry cleaners, but what can trying hurt at this point?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM

I use hairspray too, it is great.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Hairspray works because of the alcohol in it. Swabbing generously with alcohol and then blotting with several layers of paper towels and then washing also works. As a nurse, I always seem to be getting ink on my uniforms (was especially a problem when we wore only white) and this has always worked for me. Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

Most office supply stores should carry ink remover. I know the printer toner guy has a bottle print ink remover he carries around with him. Some inks come off with mascara remover.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:02 AM

Another suggestion, if you can find this product: Try spraying "Nature's Miracle" on it. It is a product used to remove organic stain and odors, including blood, urine, feces, perspiration, grass and dirt. But it also lists non organic stains such as grease and smoke. I became familiar with it when our new puppy kept having accidents on the off-white carpet. Agh! It virtually removed every stain right before my very eyes ...... I know, I'm starting to sound like a TV commercial, but I swear by it. The smell of alcohol is predominant, so that might be the common denominator between this and hairspray. but at least this leaves no sticky residue like hairspray. We buy it at Pet Smart. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 AM

Years ago my step-son got ink all over the pocket of his light blue leasure suit. That tells you how long ago it was. I was able to get it out with hairspray. An even better story when we went to the shop to pick up my daughter's wedding gown I found two different places on it that had ballpoint pen. I refused to pay for it and take it out of the shop until they got the stains out. We went shopping and got hairspray and it was the pump kind. It took the stain out.
The best story though is that my daughter's reception was at a local historical site. They took lots of pictures on the grounds. It had rained that morning. The bottom of her gown was brown with mud for at least a foot. I found her in the restroom with her matron of honor crying while they tried to sponge it off. After she left on her honeymoon I took the gown and dipped the stained bottom in my bathtub to get the heavy soil off. Then I put the whole thing in my washer on the gentle cycle. The gown came out lovely with just a little discolortion on the bottom where the soil was the worst. Our area has a lot of iron in the soil and it looks red. That $800 dress was made of polyester satin. When you send a wedding gown to have it cleaned and "preserved" they usually throw it in a washing machine and then charge you big bucks.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:10 AM

You might also try Gojo or Goop or one of the waterless hand cleaners. The Goop creamy cleaner worked well on dark walnut stain that I got all over me (and my clothes) when staining a deck last summer so maybe it would do ball point ink as well.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:54 AM

Lemon Extract
Old 02-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

The old classic Gillette Spray Deodorant for Men (light brown can) will remove permanent marker. I haven't seen a can of that is years though.

Mpspeedy is right about cleaners. I took a vintage dress that my mother wore to the cleaners, it had brown spots from being in a plastic bag. It was put in a washing machine and came out perfect. I don't know who was more surprised, me or the owner. He did discuss it with me first, said it was the only option to try to remove the spots.