Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Professional Tote: Making it bigger >

Professional Tote: Making it bigger

Professional Tote: Making it bigger

Old 07-26-2016, 06:07 AM

Sandygirl That is a beautiful tote. If mine turns out half as good I'll be happy!

That was my first thought too. Just make it as it is but then I wouldn't use the tote.. I use a tote for traveling and the one I usually use is broke. It is actually much bigger than the professional tote. The one I'm thinking of making is between the two sizes.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:24 AM

I would make it the regular size and gift it to someone! It is a lovely bag, and makes a great gift. I made about 6 of these (I love to do production line sewing) and gave almost all of them away. My friend made them and sold them for $125 each! Very time consuming to get all the pieces cut, I started without labeling, BIG mistake! This is a wonderfully written pattern, great finished product. I think it is large as it is, but if you want it larger it sounds like you have thought it through. Are you changing the size of the front pocket so the straps will be further apart? Inside zipper pockets can be eliminated as they do inhibit how wide the bag will stretch sideways. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
This website has step by step pictures (no measurements or instructions) for making the Professional Tote. You may be able to compare what you want to do, with what she did and see if it looks reasonable. http://coleensspace.blogspot.com/201...fessional.html

FYI....I would love to know if your measurements work out. I want to make one and did not want the main body to be square.

If you read to the end - she would have cut a couple of the lining pieces larger.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
This website has step by step pictures (no measurements or instructions) for making the Professional Tote. You may be able to compare what you want to do, with what she did and see if it looks reasonable. http://coleensspace.blogspot.com/201...fessional.html

FYI....I would love to know if your measurements work out. I want to make one and did not want the main body to be square.

If you read to the end - she would have cut a couple of the lining pieces larger.

Does the pattern say to use 1/2 inch seam allowances?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 AM

There is a big and small pattern for the Professional tote. The large one is huge and very heavy to carry if full. It can carry a laptop and a weeks worth of clothes. The instructions for this tote leave a little to be desired.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 AM

I have a pattern for large professional tote Size: 18" wide x 15" tall x 5" deep. The only changes would be to accommodate a deeper measurement. It is by The Creative Thimble. I have made it and it is pretty large.[ATTACH=CONFIG]554724[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554725[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 AM

I would keep looking for a pattern that actually starts with the size I wanted. There are literally 100's of purse / tote patterns out there.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:54 AM

I have made about 15 of the professional totes. The pattern is really well written. I made it smaller once, but never larger. The hardest thing to wrap your mind around it the final steps where you put on the top sipper section. As you cut the pieces use the labels they give you so you can identify all of the pieces. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
There is a big and small pattern for the Professional tote. The large one is huge and very heavy to carry if full. It can carry a laptop and a weeks worth of clothes. The instructions for this tote leave a little to be desired.
a "weeks worth" of clothing? Nope. Not even close unless you are only packing panties and bras. . And the instructions were very user friendly. Just take each step slowly.

Sandy
Old 09-28-2016, 09:01 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559148[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]559149[/ATTACH]I was able to make the bag longer by 3". This made for an excellent size for carry on. Challenging bag to make. Didn't finish it till the night before the trip. Nothing like a deadline to get me going.
Attached Thumbnails img_0322.jpg   img_0327.jpg