Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Project of  doom... embroidery help! >

Project of doom... embroidery help!

Project of doom... embroidery help!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by linbails View Post
Thanks Tartan,I have some of the books made into blocks already,I thought I would sew them into rows and then do the embroidery. Do you think this would work and do I need a stabilizer also.
Seems to me that hand sewing through a stabilizer would be really difficult, plus I can't see why you would need one if your fabric is flat (perhaps in a hoop?) and your stitches are not pulled too tight. I hand embroider for embellishment and I do not use a hoop, but I do check often to make sure fabric is not puckering.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:49 AM

No, Jan, I am right there with you. On rare occasion, I feel the need for one but my practical self puts the brakes on and saves me.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 AM

You are not the only one that doesn't want an emboridery machine. I have at times considered one but really have on desire to spend that much money to buy something I might or not use.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 AM

Wise words! Ditto! froggyintexas
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I could farm out a ton of embroidery designs I needed done to my friends who have and regularly use these machines (and therefore are proficient at their use) before I've spent enough money to have bought my own machine!!!

Perhaps I'm the only person on the planet who does NOT want an embroidery machine!

Jan in VA
Old 06-25-2013, 06:33 AM

No need to buy an embroidery machine, just use your regular machine set up for free motion quilting. Mark the material first. Unless you want an excuse to buy a new machine.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
I agree with you Jan, I don't want an embroidery machine either.
Me, either.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Embroidery is not hard to do by hand. It's one of those projects you do in front of the TV. I would practice on a separate piece of cloth to get familiar with the stitches. They're not that hard to learn. I do a little. Just a matter of a little practice. I don't like to do much fill in stitches. YouTube has tutorials on embroidery. you may find out you really like it.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I could farm out a ton of embroidery designs I needed done to my friends who have and regularly use these machines (and therefore are proficient at their use) before I've spent enough money to have bought my own machine!!!

Perhaps I'm the only person on the planet who does NOT want an embroidery machine!

Jan in VA
Jan, you are not alone!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM

I have a Viking sapphire. Love it. Can use embroidery to make labels for my quilts - when I didn't make one my niece said first thing "where's the label"? You could decide on just one or two colors for the book words, And yes, you would need stabilizer. Mine also came with a program where you can just decide on wording for free. It just transfers to the USB stick d you plug that into your machine. I don't use the embroidery function every day but it's great to have. You can spend as little or as much as you want. Or I can PM you and make the blocks for you!!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 AM

I love being able to embroider names and/or dates onto the quilts I make. For my Dad's 90th birthday I made a quilt with dog fabric. I left alternate blocks as a solid color and embroidered the names of 16 dogs he's had over the years onto the blocks. I embroidered his name and 90th birthday onto the border. I also embroider labels for the backs of my quilts.