Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Project of  doom... embroidery help! >

Project of doom... embroidery help!

Project of doom... embroidery help!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 AM

I bought an embroidery machine a few years ago (so I could make quilt labels). HA I've used the embroidery part of the machine MORE than regular sewing, including quilt piecing!!! I've monogrammed towels for graduation gifts, embroidered on dish and hand towels, made 'patches' for kids jeans, used for baby quilts, humor prints on toilet paper, many 'in the hoop' projects, including nonflammable tea light wraps for teacher gifts.......the list goes on. You might say the least I've used it for is quilt labels. You will be surprised how much you use an embroidery machine. Just make sure you purchase one with large enough hoops to do what you WANT to do. Mine only has 100mmx100mm (4inch) and 100mmx170mm, but have made good use of them. LOVE my Husqvarna-Viking machine.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
Machine embroidery can be addictive. I own two machines and in the beginning embroidered everything and anything. It can also be very costly. I have at least several thousand dollars worth of designs I have never gotten around to using. I have a lot of money tied up in stabilizers, thread and gifts for the machines like different size hoops and extension tables etc. I have discovered that the older I get the lazier I get. Most of my embroidery these days is done with variegated thread so that don't have to constantly change colors which requires rethreading the machine. I also think that a cheapy machine from Walmart would give you a taste of what is involved without draining your bank account. The other option is to approach a dealer about a trade in etc. Some dealers will also do the embroidery for you for a price. That may be your best option. I have found that a paper towel can work as a stabilizer and is handy.
I personally would refrain from using paper towels as a substitute stabilizer. I would think the lint build up in the bobbin case wouldn't be worth it.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM

To me, nothing compares to well-done beautiful hand embroidery. I can do stumpwork, hardanger, candlewicking, and all types of hand embroidery stitching. I belong to the Embroidery Guild and find the work fun but can be tedious and long to finish a project.
I have an embroidery machine that quickly does beautiful embroidery work.
Each discipline has it's own attributes and down-falls and depends on finished product desired.
The investment in an embroidery machine can be never-ending. Hand embroidery can be as well if you invest in silk, linen, batiste, etc. fabrics and then thread: silks, wools, cottons, etc. Each project can require something different. Then there are hoops, stands, lights, needles, and the list goes on.
It is all individual preference, cost, and the preferred outcome... imho
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by linbails View Post
Well heck, I guess I will be doing this by hand. Checking into embroidery machines I really don't think I want to spend money like that for one quilt.Then learning a new machine to boot So do you still need to use a stabilizer if doing it by hand.

P-BurgKay, would love to see a picture of your quilt also. Thanks everyone..
I never use a stabilizer when doing hand embroidery. Just an embroidery hoop. I have small hands so I use a 3-4" diameter hoop so my fingers reach at least to the middle when stitching. It means a lot of re-hooping but I just can't reach like I need to on larger hoops.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM

I would just do it by hand or have it done.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM

I have an older Pfaff (7550) that does not have the full embroidery function (no Hoops, no arms, no walking away) but does have a lot of fancy stitches I've never used - it also has a couple of alphabets that I have used even without stabilizer. If you have alphabets hidden among unused fancy stitches on your machine they might work well. probably need to run lengthwise on the spine of the book. I bought myself a Janome 11000 SE as a retirement present - full embroidery etc. Still haven't figured the embroidery out
Old 06-25-2013, 11:44 AM

You could always get markers or fabric paint to do the letters in the book titles...but as far as an embroidery machine..I have one, and use it a lot , but would never buy one just for 1 project. I think a lot of very cheap sewing machines have fonts on them now.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I could farm out a ton of embroidery designs I needed done to my friends who have and regularly use these machines (and therefore are proficient at their use) before I've spent enough money to have bought my own machine!!! ...

Jan in VA
Jan is correct - The Machines are expensive and by the time you purchase it and all the supplies - OH and then learn to use it - you might be better off doing it by hand or paying someone with a machine to do it for you.

The other option is either hand write/print the titles with a fine point permanent marker - or put your fabric through your ink jet printer. Either might be fine and a lot cheaper than a new machine.

Unless of course you have been itching to buy one!! Then you should go for it!!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by linbails View Post
I have just started the Harry Potter quilt Project of doom. It is on Craftsy, the free pattern section.
I would love to do the embroidery for the book titles. I have never done it on a machine and was wondering if it is worth getting an embroidery machine. What else you would need to use the machine, stabilizer , different thread and so on. Or do you think it could be done by hand. ha ha Then I would have to learn to embroider ... any help please

http://www.craftsy.com/patterns/quil...rtBy=relevance
If you think you would like to do other embroidery, and get the real usemout of the machine, then maybe you should consider it. Otherwise, it is worth several thousand dollars to you for a few designs ( and the learning curve to use the machine)? If all you want is the Harry potter designs, it might be more cost effective to find someone to do them for you.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM

I love my embroidery machine !! Although I have a sewing place near by that does classes and projects which are free if u buy your machine from them. Its the best investment I have made that makes me happy. Have done several projects and now getting into quilting with the embroidery touch in it. I don't think u will be sorry.