Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckers?? How do you prevent them?? >

Puckers?? How do you prevent them??

Puckers?? How do you prevent them??

Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 AM

Try this. First lay your backing down, wrong side up,on a table and tape it with masking tape-taunt. Pulling all edges and corners. Tape it really good. Then lay the batting down and smooth it out. Then put the quilt top on top and smooth out again. Then pin. It should work better for you.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM

Concentrate on just what is under the needle and inbetween your hands on either side of the needle. I put one hand under the quilt and smooth the backing before I start each quilting, then stop the machine...smooth underneath and on top and begin again. Just remember to quilt one small section at a time. All those small smooth sections will become a nicely quilted smooth quilt in the end.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
My best find to prevent puckers was basting spray. It made everything much easier.
That's what I found as well. I always had puckers, it was so frustrating. Now I spray baste. I still tape back to floor, but that's the only thing I do the same when I create the sandwich now...no pins for me! :-D
Old 06-02-2010, 11:24 AM

I had the same problem..found out to solve this problem was to buy a machine with an adjustable pressure foot setting.I bought a CHEAP little White Brand machine from ebay that had the pressure foot adjuster on it and GUESS WHAT?problem solved.Best $97.00 investment.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 AM

when I quilted i found that if I pin at the corners of the blocks and then roll the quilt into one little square block to quilt at a time that it keeps the wrinkles out. but this is on a regular sewing machine. I am probably doing it beyond wrong and getting puckers that I don't know about but I haven't seen any to my untrained eye.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM

It doesn't take a trained eye to see puckers. If you don't see them, they probably aren't there. :D Sounds good to me.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Spray baste!!!
Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
No matter how hard I try I keep getting puckers on the backside of my quilts when I quilt them. It there a magic solution I have yet to find?? Please help!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Cajun,
There was a post on this site about spray baste quilting and it looks like a better way to sandwich your layers. I just cannot find it here. You might also try Your Tube on the subject. I haven't done this yet as I am recovering from a mastectomy but soon, I plan to do this method.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammyp
I over stretch the back a bit if I am pin basting. So far that has seemed to work. Now that I have the mid-arm and frame it has gotten easier to prevent them.
I do too!!! If the backing isn't stretched taut, I will get puckers every time... no matter how well I pin or spray baste.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

My Grandmother always said that if you ride past on a galloping horse and can't see the flaws... YOUR FINE!!!