Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Purse Bottom

I use foam core, it's rigid and holds up real well

Have you tried that plastic mesh stuff (which the name of it escapes me right now) ?? Folks use it to cut into shapes and then use yarn or whatever to create patterns??? Okay - if you have any idea what I'm talking about (LOL), use that ! I've used it in purses - made a "cover" for it and when it comes times to wash the purse, remove it - can even take off the sleeve (make the sleeve with one end open of course) and wash that too. Works great! Cheap too.....

I use 1/4" foam board left over from making my minis. Problem tho. I have it in a sleeve at the bottom but it keeps shifting and my stuff ends up underneath it. Can't decide whether to velcro it in or stitch down both sides leaving the end open to insert the FB. Suggestions please.

One quilting teacher friend uses the vertical blinds from a repair set. Her hubby cuts them to the right size. I have a few purses made from her pattern with these glued into the bottom then the lining sewed up and they work great!

Quote Originally Posted by lynn7448
    Thx. Is one layer of plastic canvas enough?
    Yes, usually, sometimes if you need it stiffer you can use 2 but I use 1 layer. You can also buy the stiffer plastic canvas...it is way cheaper than the stuff they sell for the bottom.

I use 2 layers of plastic canvas...seems to work well.
    I round off the corners.

Blog Entries
    I recycle my large plastic jugs- yes,! Clorox jugs for a bottom in a purse? believe it or not, you can press the plastic flat with a Warm iron between several sheets of tissue, I also use it to make plastic letters, etc. - its real easy to cut to size,lay something heavy (a book) for a couple of minutes (while still warm) to keep it flat and you have free craft supplies.

I use plastic canvas ans template plastic as it is washable and remains stiff.

I got scraps of corrugated sign material at a sign shop. easy to cut with rotary cutter or Xacto, and cheaper than the Bag-e-bottoms from Lazy girl. (Sometimes the shop will give you the smaller scraps) Just have to be sure to round the edge a bit so it won't poke a hole in the fabric.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I used several pieces of heavy plastic canvas. It can be left in when washing. I also found something the other day that I am going to use for stencils and templates and it would also be great for the purse bottoms. It is a package of flexible cutting mats from the kitchen department at Wal Mart. There were 3 to the package. It can be cut with scissors and is white. The sheets are 12 x 15 and only cost about $5.

I use Peltex which is an ultra, super stiff fusible interfacing. You can buy it at JoAnn's. I cut 2 pieces to the size I need and iron or fuse them together. It's then very stiff after it cools from the iron. Next, I sew it to re-enforce it in small triangles starting at one end of my piece sewing up on an angle and when you get to the end, you pivot the fabric and go back down to finish up the triangle. I try to get 3 or 4 triangles across my piece. Once again, doing the stitching re-enforces the Peltex. Then depending on the purse I'm making, I try to sew it directly into the "inside" (beteen the layers of fabric and the batting) of the bottom of the purse and then sew it down around the edges of the bottom of the bag as opposed to "sleeving it". The sleeves work, but as someone else mentioned, they do shift around in your bag a lot and stuff does in deed fall underneath. But my long arm quilting lady told me about this and it works beautifully. Only one problem, peltex is not cheap, but best to buy it at Joann's when they either run their 50% off on interfacings, or those of you who were lucky enough to get the 60% off coupons could stock up on it if you make a lot of purses.

I like to use corrugated plastic signs from home depo or old political signs recycle them. No one will ever know.
    I lucked out at a yard sale and got a big box of them from some one who went out of business "I buy houses "

Blog Entries
    Timex is what I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7
    I buy the cheap vinyl placemats at the dollar store or wally world and cut them to fit in a sewn sleeve to put in the bottom.
    That is a great idea!!!

I've heard of people using Timtex for this because it's fairly stiff.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by paulswalia
    after the last election season I picked up several politician's signs left behind and planned to throw them away, but now realize that the corrogated plastic is PERFECT for the bottom of bags. It's lightweight and sturdy. Visit your local sign shop to get a supply. Easy to cut with a box cutter.
    I did this too and it costs nothing!

Most frame shops will give you their scraps of matting board, which make great purse bottoms. Cut them for a tight fit in the bottom of the purse, and just insert them into a facric cover.

Quote Originally Posted by mhunt1717
    I have used old cutting mats cut to size!
    Oooohhhh, good one!

Blog Entries
    Timtex

I bought some fusible batting from JoAnn's that is very heavy and makes a great bottom for purses when sandwiched between 2 pieces of material.

Quote Originally Posted by noahscats7
    I buy the cheap vinyl placemats at the dollar store or wally world and cut them to fit in a sewn sleeve to put in the bottom.
    That's what I do. Often you can fnd some even at close-out prices...odd ones that didn't sell with the groups.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn7448
    What material do you recommend to use in the bottom of your purses or bags to provide the stiffness and support?
    Go to an xray place and ask if they will give you the plastic that the xray plates come packed in. It's very stiff and they usually throw it out. You will need very sharp scissors to cut it.
    I'm in Australia so not sure if it's the same in other countries.

I used cake decorating boards. :-o

The form board works best for me and so light weight, Marcie

I rip the plastic covers off of 3-ring binders and use the cardboard that is on the inside. I will be loading up on used binders in a few weeks because I teach high school and kids will soon be doing their end-of-year locker cleanout! It's absolutely amazing what they throw away!

My hubby has made them for me out of left over paneling. They work great.

I used a double layer of plastic canvas in my mini bow tuck. Works great and is also very inexpensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast