Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting Pictures on Fabric >

Putting Pictures on Fabric

Putting Pictures on Fabric

Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 PM

Which of the Printed treasures products do you recommend. One is peel and stick which says can be used for quilts, another is Printed Treasures Printer Fabric Sheets Sew-In, and there is one in a package with green on it that is sew-in. boy! Am I confused!

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and testimonies on what has worked for you.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 PM

i use Printed treasures sew on they are in a green package i buy them at Jo ann fabrics with my 40 % coupon i have done 5 quilts using them but i take mine one step farther after letting the ink dry for a few minutes and after taking the peel backing off i soak my pictures in a Bubble jet rise for about 3 or 4 minutes and lay them out on a towel on my kitchen table to dry , iron them and then start sewing with them
i dont know if anyone else had this problem but one time i left the peel backing on for about 10 minutes , i was off doing something else and i came back to peel the backing and had a hard time getting the material off a lot of the paper backing stuck i had to wet it and scape it off, but other than that these are great to use wouldnt use anything else
Old 11-07-2009, 04:51 AM

The peel and stick has glue on the back and there is no need for that if you are going to sew the piece to the rest of the quilt. When you are done it is too stiff. It is useful for applique. Just use the regular one to sew with, since it has the same feel as any other fabric.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Heading to Joann's this afternoon. I too was wondering about the Bubble jet stuff. One more question....I didn't prewash my fabric as it was a kit and wasn't sure how close the amount of fabric was cut, so I was going to wash with Retayne or something like that after it was done. Any thoughts how this might work...or not?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

i printed this yesterday. i made two copies so i could compare the washed copy to the other one.

i pretreated white 200-ct 100% cotton muslin with Bubble Jet Set 2000
i printed using a Canon PixmaPro 9000 printer, loaded with a generic version of the ink it uses. (the results are more vivid when i use genuine Canon ink, so no more generics for me once these run out.)
i let it set for a while and then laid it in a mixture of water with a splash of Dharma Dye Fixative (same as Retayne but much less expensive).
it is now 100% colorfast.

can you tell which side has been washed and which hasn't?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-2915.jpe  
Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Patrice, after treating with Dharma fixative, it is still not 100% color fast?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Administrator

ooops!!! i meant to say it is NOW 100% colorfast. :roll:

thanks for catching that! :P
Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Patrice for clarifying that :wink:
By the way...that is a very pretty picture that you printed out :D :D
Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Patrice,

Thanks for the graphic examples. It looks just the same! I did by some to the printed treasure sheets in the green package from Joanns. Do you think I should still just bubble jet set afterward, and how would you go about it?

Also, I intended to wash the quilt in Retayne to set the other colors before I thought about the pic idea. Do you think that would be ok then, like you did with the fabric you prepared for printing yourself?

Thanks, I just don't want to ruin this quilt.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by nursie76
Patrice,

Thanks for the graphic examples. It looks just the same! I did by some to the printed treasure sheets in the green package from Joanns. Do you think I should still just bubble jet set afterward, and how would you go about it?

Also, I intended to wash the quilt in Retayne to set the other colors before I thought about the pic idea. Do you think that would be ok then, like you did with the fabric you prepared for printing yourself?

Thanks, I just don't want to ruin this quilt.
i never use the pretreated fabric packs, so i can't even guess how well they'll perform for you in general.

you don't use bubble jet set to treat after printing. you only use it to pretreat previously untreated fabric. you are probably thinking of Bubble Jet Rinse. a fine product, i'm sure, but not necessary. it's very expensive and just about any gentle detergent will do just as well. i've read in many places that woolite is a suitable substitute.

i don't wash in retayne afterward. i soak the printed sheets of fabric. i do that for a few reasons. for one thing, i need only a capful of the dye fixative at a time, swished into a few inches of water in a plastic container big enough for the sheets to lay flat on the solution. by laying the sheets onto the surface one at a time, they absorb the solution and then sink flat to the bottom. that way, the fabric retains its shape and the print doesn't become distorted.

yesterday, i set up one bin of a water-mix solution and one of pure fixative. i was fascinated to see that i lost more ink to the pure fixative. i expected it to be the other way around. go figure. :roll:

reds and dark pinks have been the hardest colors to get really vivid prints from - whether i've used my Canon or my HP printer. for some reason, the reds and pinks migrate (float off the fabric) more than the other colors. if i don't have a lot of red in the print, i feel safe soaking more than one printed sheet at a time in the same bin of solution. if i do have a lot of red (or shades of pink) i either soak them one at a time or set up more than one bin of solution.

(side note: i use the dharma dye fixative, which is the same as retayne but less expensive.)

once the colors are set, they will usually stand up to any detergent - even Tide in warm water - but i always recommend cold water and the mildest bleach-free detergent possible anyway.