Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Putting Pictures on Fabric

I am finishing up my husbands movie themed quilt for Christmas. I decided to put an extra border on as he is tall and hates his feet hanging out. The fabric has a lot of stars scattered through much of it because of the movie/movie star theme. I am using a marbeled black fabric for the border, but would like to use four cornerstones (blocks at each corner of border). We were just in Hollywood and I took some pics of stars of some movie stars on the Hollywood walk of fame. I would like to print these on fabric, then cut the squares for corner blocks from these, 1 star for each block. Below is an example of the pics (my daughter will work her magic with "Photo Shop" before I print them)

I have never used pics in a quilt, but I know many of you have done this. What is the best way to do this and what product(s) are the best for this job.

Thanks in the advance for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I use EQ fabric sheets.. just run them thru your printer let sit for 15 minutes, soak in warm water 10 minutes, lay flat to dty and youa re done :lol: I have used them on several projects and never have had a problem .
    Can't wait to see the final finished quilt :mrgreen:

I see that there are several thread count choices with the EQ fabric sheets. Which have you used. Do they retain the pics through multiple washings?
    Thanks so much for all your help. I will definitely post pics when this is done. It will be only my second completed oversized lap quilt and quite a bit more detailed than my first.

Blog Entries
    Mine don't say which ones they are, but the package has an orange frame and a picture of a dog coming out of the printer. As for washing I will have to check with the people who received them but I haven't heard anything bad. There have been other threads on this site for the same question , so maybe try the search button.
    I can't think of the one brand they discussed that faded after several washings :roll:

I will do a search. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    you are very welcome. the quilt in my picture was made using the EQ sheets

It looks really nice. What a wonderful way to preserve memories.

I use Printed Treasures. They are already backed and pre-treated, so when it dries it is already permanent and there is no soaking. You can get a package of 5 (8 x 10) for $18.00. They are flexible and it will not wash out. No matter which ones you use, make sure you set your printer to good quality print, because fabric absorbs some of the ink and if the printer is set to medium quality or draft the colors will not be the same.

Maria

I use printed treasures also,good product

I totally agree with you on Printed Treasures---I love this stuff. Easiest I have ever used.

Which of the Printed treasures products do you recommend. One is peel and stick which says can be used for quilts, another is Printed Treasures Printer Fabric Sheets Sew-In, and there is one in a package with green on it that is sew-in. boy! Am I confused!

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and testimonies on what has worked for you.

i use Printed treasures sew on they are in a green package i buy them at Jo ann fabrics with my 40 % coupon i have done 5 quilts using them but i take mine one step farther after letting the ink dry for a few minutes and after taking the peel backing off i soak my pictures in a Bubble jet rise for about 3 or 4 minutes and lay them out on a towel on my kitchen table to dry , iron them and then start sewing with them
    i dont know if anyone else had this problem but one time i left the peel backing on for about 10 minutes , i was off doing something else and i came back to peel the backing and had a hard time getting the material off a lot of the paper backing stuck i had to wet it and scape it off, but other than that these are great to use wouldnt use anything else

The peel and stick has glue on the back and there is no need for that if you are going to sew the piece to the rest of the quilt. When you are done it is too stiff. It is useful for applique. Just use the regular one to sew with, since it has the same feel as any other fabric.

Heading to Joann's this afternoon. I too was wondering about the Bubble jet stuff. One more question....I didn't prewash my fabric as it was a kit and wasn't sure how close the amount of fabric was cut, so I was going to wash with Retayne or something like that after it was done. Any thoughts how this might work...or not?

Blog Entries
    i printed this yesterday. i made two copies so i could compare the washed copy to the other one.

i pretreated white 200-ct 100% cotton muslin with Bubble Jet Set 2000
    i printed using a Canon PixmaPro 9000 printer, loaded with a generic version of the ink it uses. (the results are more vivid when i use genuine Canon ink, so no more generics for me once these run out.)
    i let it set for a while and then laid it in a mixture of water with a splash of Dharma Dye Fixative (same as Retayne but much less expensive).
    it is now 100% colorfast.

can you tell which side has been washed and which hasn't?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Patrice, after treating with Dharma fixative, it is still not 100% color fast?

Blog Entries
    ooops!!! i meant to say it is NOW 100% colorfast. :roll:

thanks for catching that! :P

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrice for clarifying that :wink:
    By the way...that is a very pretty picture that you printed out :D :D

Patrice,

Thanks for the graphic examples. It looks just the same! I did by some to the printed treasure sheets in the green package from Joanns. Do you think I should still just bubble jet set afterward, and how would you go about it?

Also, I intended to wash the quilt in Retayne to set the other colors before I thought about the pic idea. Do you think that would be ok then, like you did with the fabric you prepared for printing yourself?

Thanks, I just don't want to ruin this quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Patrice,

Thanks for the graphic examples. It looks just the same! I did by some to the printed treasure sheets in the green package from Joanns. Do you think I should still just bubble jet set afterward, and how would you go about it?

Also, I intended to wash the quilt in Retayne to set the other colors before I thought about the pic idea. Do you think that would be ok then, like you did with the fabric you prepared for printing yourself?

Thanks, I just don't want to ruin this quilt.
    i never use the pretreated fabric packs, so i can't even guess how well they'll perform for you in general.

you don't use bubble jet set to treat after printing. you only use it to pretreat previously untreated fabric. you are probably thinking of Bubble Jet Rinse. a fine product, i'm sure, but not necessary. it's very expensive and just about any gentle detergent will do just as well. i've read in many places that woolite is a suitable substitute.

i don't wash in retayne afterward. i soak the printed sheets of fabric. i do that for a few reasons. for one thing, i need only a capful of the dye fixative at a time, swished into a few inches of water in a plastic container big enough for the sheets to lay flat on the solution. by laying the sheets onto the surface one at a time, they absorb the solution and then sink flat to the bottom. that way, the fabric retains its shape and the print doesn't become distorted.

yesterday, i set up one bin of a water-mix solution and one of pure fixative. i was fascinated to see that i lost more ink to the pure fixative. i expected it to be the other way around. go figure. :roll:

reds and dark pinks have been the hardest colors to get really vivid prints from - whether i've used my Canon or my HP printer. for some reason, the reds and pinks migrate (float off the fabric) more than the other colors. if i don't have a lot of red in the print, i feel safe soaking more than one printed sheet at a time in the same bin of solution. if i do have a lot of red (or shades of pink) i either soak them one at a time or set up more than one bin of solution.

(side note: i use the dharma dye fixative, which is the same as retayne but less expensive.)

once the colors are set, they will usually stand up to any detergent - even Tide in warm water - but i always recommend cold water and the mildest bleach-free detergent possible anyway.

One more question just to be sure. I understand now that my pics should be okay with the Printed Treasures fabric I got. But what I am uncertain about is that the quilt has red fabric in it. I did not prewash do to it being a kit. I intended to wash it in retayne after it was finished. I had not planned on using the pics originally. Now I am wondering if I can still wash the whole finished quilt in Retayne or something like it to prevent the red fabric from bleeding. Sorry so dense.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Color catchers usually work well of general fabric bleeding.

Senior Member Darlene loves Chocolates's Avatar
    question....

I have some special paper, my quilting friend talked me into buying and showed me how to use it....but I have yet to use the paper....

you take a photo and copy it on to the special paper using a standard copy machine....then you press it on to the fabric....

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT????

I have about 50 sheets, and I have yet to use them.

Blog Entries
    Transfers like I believe you are talking about do not hold up as well to washing or wearing. They would work for a wall hanging that is not going to be washed or very seldom. My kids and I use them on tshirts for special occasions, but after a few washings they can start to peel or get creases and crack. I would personally stick to printed on fabric for a quilt.

the one on the left was washed. I cannot tell from the picture. I can tell from the frayed edge of the fabric...:)