Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting Your Longarm on Home Insurance? >

Putting Your Longarm on Home Insurance?

Putting Your Longarm on Home Insurance?

Old 08-23-2023, 05:02 AM

Default Putting Your Longarm on Home Insurance?

Do any of y'all put your longarm on your home insurance? Pro and cons? A couple of friends, who aren't quilters, suggested that I put my brand -new APQS longarm on the insurance plan, since it costs as much as a used car! And it's true that all it would take is one bad storm with a tornado and boom! it's destroyed. What's your thoughts?
Old 08-23-2023, 05:58 AM

Check with your insurance agent, I remember checking with mine regarding my sewing machines. I really can't remember what she said but I ended up not adding them. Why? I can't remember, it was years ago.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

NZQuilter ... only your insurance agent can help you sort that out. There is such a wide variation as to the wordings of insurance policies and what they cover now, that you just can't go with what others say. Too, two people can be with the same insurance company and have two totally different coverages within their homeowners policies.

Taking this a step further ... your agent/broker may tell you one thing, and may not have the right understanding. So, ask them for something in writing directly from the insurance company. Then keep it with your documents.

Be sure to check re different aspects ... malicious damage, fire, electrical, floods, theft (not so likely for LA, but definitely for our more portable machines) etc.

For All ... Our "regular" machines are so pricey now, that we all need to check on their coverages. With so many of us taking machines to retreats, one-day sews, and such, your insurance coverage and needs while away from home may change, so best to check on that too.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:34 AM
mkc

If you use it only for your personal projects, definitely discuss with your homeowner's insurance agent. Individual items with a high value often require additional riders in order to be covered for full value.

If you use it to quilt for others, in particular if you receive compensation of any kind for doing so, it's considered business use and is not covered under homeowner's insurance at all. You would need a business insurance policy for that.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
...........If you use it to quilt for others, in particular if you receive compensation of any kind for doing so, it's considered business use and is not covered under homeowner's insurance at all. You would need a business insurance policy for that.
It's important to keep in mind that "business" could affect many other areas of an insurance policy cost and one's coverage. Should a claim ultimately be made, if not covered properly, it could give the insurance company a good escape from the coverage one thinks they have.

We all need to be really mindful about our insurance coverage, in all aspects, way beyond the sewing perspective.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
We all need to be really mindful about our insurance coverage, in all aspects, way beyond the sewing perspective.
I could not agree with this more.

My husband and I have several insurance policies: our home, our 2 vehicles, 2 personal watercraft (waverunners) with their trailer, 1 personal watercraft (jetski) without a trailer, a motorcycle, and my son's vehicle. A couple years ago I wanted to make small change on one of our policies. During the conversation with the insurance company, I mentioned the 2 waverunners. The representative said they had no record of them. I said WHAT. We went back and forth for several minutes about this, she put me on hold several times to double check. Nope - she said she had no record of the waverunners, but she did have a record of the trailer. She claimed we must have never told the company about the waverunners. I said how is that possible, the waverunners came WITH the trailer, and that's where they live! I was livid. I was furious. By this point we'd had the waverunners for about 5 years, with our kids and our friends having fun on them, and we were left wide open for liability. This was the last straw with this company, I'd had a couple of claims denied and some interactions with them that I was unhappy with. So I went shopping. Got a recommendation from a couple of friends for an insurance broker. He looked at our existing policies and determined that we were very underinsured. Our policy limits hadn't changed in 20+ years. He shopped around for about a week, found us good policies with 2 different companies. Our limits were at least doubled and in come cases tripled, we added an umbrella policy AND got the waverunners insured, and our policy now includes language that will cover what our previous insurance company denied (long-term water damage). We're actually paying less now than we were with our original company.

Definitely have conversations with your insurance agent, not just about your needs, but your limits and deductibles also, especially if it's an older policy.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Peckish ... What a mess!! Had you not noticed the waverunners as not showing on your policy? Annually, with the policy renewal, I get a full listing, as well as anytime even a slightest change is made. Each time, I go through, line by line, even the ones were there were no changes to be made and yes, I find changes to some of those others. And then start all over, when I get the next copy, after they correct their own mistakes. Sometimes with more mistakes. arrggghhhhhhhh

After a more than frustrating year, following a fire, I could only conclude that it was in their job description: to demean, insinuate, disrespect, insult, make you think you are going crazy ... and more!
Old 08-23-2023, 10:23 AM

two more things to think about
I have my machines listed under homeowner's mostly because, over the years, I have accumulated quite a few machines - including a longarm (only for personal use), a few fairly expensive new machines including an industrial Juki, and lots of vintage machines. They are all photographed, listed with value and serial #s...etc. However...they are NOT covered if/when I take them away from the home. (To a retreat, or back to the dealer for service, for example)
just saying...you may want to make sure you know what exactly is covered.

Also
It never hurts to check up on your policy(s) from time to time anyway.

My auto policy had this happen:
Recently, there was an accident in another state completely unrelated to me or my cars, yet one of the auto owners involved in the crash somehow charged my auto insurance policy for all damages. Don't know how they got my policy # and account info, but they did. I had to contact my insurance broker, and he/they were completely unaware of the charge against my policy. I don't even own the kind of car that was damaged...and I've not driven in that state...1400 miles from where I live. My broker had to jump in and fight for me. Surprised my rate didn't go up....

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 08-23-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I could not agree with this more.

My husband and I have several insurance policies: our home, our 2 vehicles, 2 personal watercraft (waverunners) with their trailer, 1 personal watercraft (jetski) without a trailer, a motorcycle, and my son's vehicle. A couple years ago I wanted to make small change on one of our policies. During the conversation with the insurance company, I mentioned the 2 waverunners. The representative said they had no record of them. I said WHAT. We went back and forth for several minutes about this, she put me on hold several times to double check. Nope - she said she had no record of the waverunners, but she did have a record of the trailer. She claimed we must have never told the company about the waverunners. I said how is that possible, the waverunners came WITH the trailer, and that's where they live! I was livid. I was furious. By this point we'd had the waverunners for about 5 years, with our kids and our friends having fun on them, and we were left wide open for liability. This was the last straw with this company, I'd had a couple of claims denied and some interactions with them that I was unhappy with. So I went shopping. Got a recommendation from a couple of friends for an insurance broker. He looked at our existing policies and determined that we were very underinsured. Our policy limits hadn't changed in 20+ years. He shopped around for about a week, found us good policies with 2 different companies. Our limits were at least doubled and in come cases tripled, we added an umbrella policy AND got the waverunners insured, and our policy now includes language that will cover what our previous insurance company denied (long-term water damage). We're actually paying less now than we were with our original company.
Definitely have conversations with your insurance agent, not just about your needs, but your limits and deductibles also, especially if it's an older policy.
Good advice.
It's super easy to just let it slide - not think about it. But life and circumstances do change....
I'm sorry this happened to you!
Old 08-23-2023, 10:50 AM

Great advice, Peckish. Also, check your policy. Just because because you told the agent/company something doesn't mean they listed it correctly. Also, make sure you have good current pics of everything even things listed on a personal articles policy. You have to be able to prove you have in your house what the contents portion of your policy says you do. Before hurricane season, I go thru the house and take lots of pics which I keep on a thumb drive in the safe deposit box and at the office. I had a friend who was an appraiser and part of her job was appraising the contents of a house. She said it was very hard to put a value on furnishings if the only pictures you have are from last Christmas when the family was there. I also take pictures of all my jewelry. I had a loss once and had to produce pictures of what was taken. It was very hard to find pictures of myself wearing the jewelry.