Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QB- Good and Bad >
  • QB- Good and Bad

• QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Joy, I'm sure your quilts are beautiful! As others have stated, most of us don't have the fancy machines or gadgets. We quilt with what we have and boy do we have a good time doing it. It is an stress reliever for me also, I love the "me time" even though it seems like I'm unsewing (seam ripper) more than actually sewing. Just enjoy the time you have to quilt something for those you love and surely love you. What an amazing gift you are to others. Love and Prayers!
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 PM

If you take all the fancy shmancy stuff out of the picture that we use to help us do the perfect 1/4in.seam and all the other contraptions,I don't think 1/2 of us would be quilting.
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 PM

I noticed in a quilt magazine I was looking at the other day, that in the close-ups of the featured quilts, I could see all sorts of imperfections! I decided I'm not worrying about all seams matching perfectly any more.
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:17 PM

it is all for "the love" of quilting. it is for the love of the fabric, it is for the love of the colors, it is for the love of the family, the love of friends. it is for the love of the task, the love of the work, the love of completion. it is for the love of giving, for the love of healing, for the love of being able to keep a heart or body or soul warm. it is for the love of life, the love of the moment of discovery, the love of knowledge. it is for the love of "making do", of using found materials, of knowing that no one else can do exactly what you do.

dear joy, you are a quilter, head to toe, heart to hand.
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
    After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
    You are an AMAZING lady, very much so, not "only" (anything but "only"!!) for the caregiving you provide, but if that quilt in your avatar is an example of your work, then wow on another plane as well. Hats off to you, Joy. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Snake River log cabin quilt when you get it back from Charisma's quilting.
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Joy don't worry about the right way the best way or etc. You just continue doing it the way it makes you happy and with all the caregiving that you are doing making quilts is the best way to relax and just keep on doing it the way you are comfortable with. My prayers are with you
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Joy:
    The quilt in your Avatar is beautiful and I could not do that. We do what seems right for us and and it should be fun. Bless you in all that you do and bless your family.
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:27 PM

But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
    Joy, if you want to see some quilters -- who don't manage quarter-inch seams, color theory is a concept they've never heard of, use whatever fabrics come to hand -- but are considered good enough for exhibits at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, check out Gee's Bend quilts.
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM

After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
    Being a caregiver for your family, and still have time to quilt. I would say, you are a true quilter, and didn't know it. I don't have all those fancy machines either. I'm still trying not to be such a perfectionist. It's hard to break the mold. Saying that, I still enjoy looking at all the talented quilters on our QB. It sure gives me inspiration!

BTW: I know exactly where Groveland, FL. is located. We lived in Ocoee for 10 yrs. in the 90's!
    Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Joy, God bless you. Just want to chime in with everyone else that, "you are a quilter". Quilters in the past made quilts with what they had at hand & primarily by hand. I make quilts to spread love & comfort and because quilting is my outlet. Keep quiltin'