Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 AM

QB is not a competition, we are all in quilting for the love of sewing and creating something. No one is judging anyone else. I make them for the joy of sewing and sharing warmth and love with everyone who uses one of mine. It is an outlet for our creativity and a blessing to the person who receives or uses a quilt. If we had to keep certain standards, there would be no sharing and helping each other. I sew for fun and don't have a set of rules, none of my quilts would win any prizes. We will let that for the experts who can do that kind of work.

Carol J.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 AM

Your quilts are beautiful!!!I don't think you have anything to worry about,you are a true quilter!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :) I would love to have one of your "master pieces".
Old 07-09-2011, 05:01 AM

I do alI the things you mentioned, but don't let it bother me as long as my quilts come out ok. I do some things to perfection, others don't come out so good. One day they will probably all find a home somewhere.
I have been making quilts for about 30 years, and have learned a lot since I joined the quilt board. Some things I will probably never use, because they are too complicated for me to enjoy doing. Other things I have tried have improved my quilting.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

The joy is in the doing. No quilting police here. I quilt the same way you do!

With all you do for others, I'm happy for you to be able to enjoy quilting for your personal fulfillment.
peace and prayers :D
Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 AM

Sounds like I could of worte this about my quilting. I joined a guild and all they talk about is quarter seams or fat quarter seams. I too, do not wash my fabrics, I like working with the stiffer fabrics. I do not like to iron every seam. I want to sew not iron. I have gotten so I do not want to work on group projects because my pieces do not match their's in size or "quality" Mine go good together for my projects but I won't be comparing my projects with their's. My projects do bring joy to the people that have received them and that is what counts.
Keep doing what you are doing. There are others who share your pain and busy schedule. We can share the projects, we don't need to see the seams. Anna
Old 07-09-2011, 05:10 AM

Boy reading these comments sure makes me feel better, because I was feeling the same way. There is no way my quilts can compare. I will never ever own a fancy machine. I can't afford it period, nor will I ever be able to afford it. I am doing my best to FMQ. I have good days and bad days on that one. :). But I love it anyway and each time it looks a little better. DH says it looks good (he is well trained). I get lots of oohs and ahs from family and friends, so I guess that counts also. A few nice comments here, now and then. So I guess that makes me a quilter. But what really counts is I have fun and it relieves my stress.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 AM

I love this board...Im a newbie at quilting. I can only hope to your lvl. Your avatar is stunning.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
That's what I thought. All my tools are used cept for my rotory cutter and my stitch ripper.
When I went to my first quilting thingy for Miricale quilts, the other quilters were ohhin and awwin over my 35yr old machine, my makeshift cutting board out of an old draft table, and stuff.
My youngest machine is 20 yrs old, no wait, I just got a Janome Hello Kitty one fer kicks [and for $30 cuz it was discontinued] but you know what I mean. No fancy stuff here. It's all about the quilting.
Honey, if your heart is in it, you're never out of your league!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:21 AM

I'm right there with you!! One glance at your avatar and we know YOU are a quilter! God bless and keep on stitching!!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:21 AM

I agree with all of the above. We quilt for the love of quilting. I'm by no means a prefectionist but I dare anyone to criticize my quilts. I am my own worse critiquer, if there is such a word. I quilt because I love quilting. My mother was a quilter later in life, my grandmother quilted most of her life (hand piecing and hand quilting). I see all the beautiful quilts pictured here and say to myself "my quilts may not be as fancy but they are probably more loved", grin. Don't get depressed by what others do. Be proud of what "YOU" do. Oh, I don't mean to put down the fancy -smancy quilters, smile. Everybody needs to do what they like and enjoy doing and be proud of their results. I am.