Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Qnique quilter >

Qnique quilter

Qnique quilter

Old 12-12-2014, 05:07 AM

The video was interesting. Speaking of prices, I really get irritated at all of the ads, domestic machines included, when they do not show the cost of their merchandise. I have never found their prices on some ads- they always just say go to our nearest dealer, well Duh! I guess they just don't want to scare anyone off with their prices. I live in an area not at all close to any major dealers, (only Walmart), so I don't have an opportunity to get in and look at different machines, and price any of them. I have found it quite difficult to find out what the cost of individual machines are when checking out their ads, I really get frustrated with Bernina Ads, and I truly love my 930, not looking to make a trade but might be interested in getting a new model with different features before long.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:51 AM

I am very interested in the Qnique machine from the Grace Company. I believe it and the Rockit Blockit machines are the only ones that will do what I want for an almost affordable price. I have a Grace frame so won't have to purchase one if I decided to purchase.

What do you like and/or dislike about either of these machines?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:17 AM

I was happy to find this thread as I have been researching the Qnique. I am fairly new quilting and would like to make quilts from start to finish. I do have a question for anyone who owns a quilt frame. Do you have the ability to make the frame smaller or even take down to store when not in use? I am concerned about space
Old 03-13-2015, 03:20 PM

I enjoy piecing quilts more than quilting them. I make a lot and give just about all of them away. I had to find an economical way of getting my quilts quilted. I have the BlockRockit on a Grace GMQ Pro frame. I was using a Janome 1600P and didn't have enough space under the throat. Also, my quilting wasn't smooth. I had squares or ovals instead of circles. My quilting space was limited to about 4 inches when I got to the bottom. I now have about 10in. of space at the bottom of my quilt. The sewing is so smooth that I have started doing FMQ on the frame. I was relunctant to do this before due to lack of confidence. Since the Qnique and the BlockRockit are the same machine, I suggest you talk to Lynn of KathyQuilts.com. He is at the Lancaster Quilt Show this week with the machine. He developed the machine along with Grace and they both sell it and support it. You will get a lot of help from Lynn via phone and email and the BlockRockit yahoo group. Lynn explains the difference in buying from KathyQuilts and Grace is: KathyQuilts is run by quilters while Grace is a manufactorer with technological knowledge. Both will support you but the knowledge base is different.

Now, about the frames. There are some members who change the size of their quilt frame. However, it isn't a quick or easy job or something I would want to do often. Most members on the forum put furniture sliders under their frame and slide it against a wall when not in use. There are different size frames available. You may want to consider buying a smaller frame if you only make small quilts. If you buy a frame that will quilt a particular size, be aware that if you want to quilt something bigger, you will not be able to do so. I hope I answered some of your questions.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:44 PM

Smile

crideout, thank you for your wonderful reply. the information is just what I was looking for. The International Quilt Show is in Chicago next week and I hope to meet Lynn from KathyQuilts at the show and check out the machine and frame.

Happy Quilting
Old 03-16-2015, 04:30 PM

Milly, just know that with a 14" throat, you will not be able to quilt a whole 12" block without rolling back and forth. If blocks are on-point, you may be able to quilt a 6" block without rolling. This is fine if you are not doing anything but an edge to edge design, but if you get to where you are doing custom designs, it is a real pain. Plus the frame it has on the web site requires you to pay attention to the take-up roller and the amount of quilt that is on it and constantly adjust it so it doesn't drag on the machine. As a longarm quilter, I would recommend you look into an 18" or 22" throat...much easier to quilt with and still small enough for you to have control. If you are going to a show, check out the Innova - it has as many included items that other machines charge more for plus it has free 24/7/365 tech support for any questions you may have - including if you have tension problems (always a problem when you are just starting out).
Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 AM

can I ask which thread you use, expecting my Qnique next week and looking for which thread works best
Old 04-07-2015, 03:49 PM

I've been using Guttermann, Connecting Threads Essential Pro and Robinson Anton because I already have those brands. I have had no trouble with any of these threads..
Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
Be aware that you really don't have as much quilting space as the length of the throat...you have your roller there (take away about 2") and as you wind the quilt on the take-up roller, you lose inches. I have an 18" throat and even on the first pass, I cannot quilt a 12" block set on-point without rolling the quilt back and forth.
Of course you can't. That square set on point is 17.0 inches high. No 18 inch throat will handle that.

tim in san jose

Last edited by k_jupiter; 04-08-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 AM

thank you, one less concern if you can vary your threads. My 820 Bernina was touchy when I tried to change threads.