Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking Qnique advice >

Seeking Qnique advice

Seeking Qnique advice

Old 04-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Seeking Qnique advice

Greetings everyone. I just went to a quilt show here in IL today and I'm all excited about purchasing a longarm/midarm machine. I have been quilting on and off for many years, but recently I find myself with more time for this hobby. I'm looking for a larger throat space and frame so I can finish my quilts myself.

What I've settled on is the Q'nique 14+ with a frame, but it seems too good to be true. A local dealer was there, so I feel like I'll have support, but he just moved and his website and Facebook page are out of date. That makes me nervous. These days, I think, your on-line presence is your first contact with your customers. Even the Grace company website is questionable. They have 2 sites with different information. Anyway, back to the point.

I make Q size quilts on down. They offer a combo with the machine and their SR2 frame, which they say fits up to a Q. When you look at max quilt area you can work up to 88". My large lap quilts approach that but I haven't gone over yet. I'm a little worried I would go over.

The other combo deal they're offering is the 14+ with a 10' frame and a light bar. That sounds very appealing. It can handle up to a K and the max quilt area is 106". I wouldn't have to be nervous about that! The other thing that appeals to me is the light bar. It's separate from the frame, so it can be moved. I have been wanting better lighting over my cutting area, so this might do dual duty.

So, thoughts? Any advice on the frames and machine are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Melanie
Old 04-08-2017, 04:52 PM

I don't know anyone who has a Q'nique, so can't comment on that. As far as the frame goes, though, if you think you might, someday, maybe, possibly make a king quilt, get the bigger frame.

Lights over the frame are wonderful, as they make it easier to see the entire quilt while working. My DH put a flourescent shop light over my frame. I love it! My set up is in my garage, so the beauty factor for the lights was not an important issue, compared to price. However, the cost to purchase and put them up ourselves was minor compared to buying the overhead lights made specifically for over quilting frames. And my lights don't move.

I hope that helps. I think Q'nique has been discussed on QB, so maybe if you do a search for it, you will find people who own one who can help you.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:53 PM

I would check with kathyquilts.com They developed the BlockRockIt that the Grace Company builds for them. It is the same machine as the Q'Niue. They have a frame built just for the BRI. Their support is great. I bought my BRI from them 3 years ago and love it. They have a Facebook page and a yahoo group. The yahoo group has people experienced on the machine and they are always willing to help and answer questions.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Grace has been a very reputable company for a lot of years. And I know you'll get lots of great support with the BlockRockIt (same machine as the Q'nique). Lynn and Kathy Barlow of Kathy Quilts have great service and instructional videos and they're just a phone call away. They are the one and only BlockRockIt dealer.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:05 PM

I would check out the brother dream fabric frame made by the grace co. for brother. it is neat and takes up little space and you can do all sizes, Brother also has a 15inch machine I assume also made by the grace co. that they make in conjunction with the frame, very similar to the qnique
Old 04-09-2017, 12:38 AM
Gay

I don't know this brand, but you also need at least 6" space at each end of the quilt for changing bobbins etc, so add that to the length of the quilt for the frame size. I began with only an 8ft and bought a kit to lengthen to 10 ft, and have no end of trouble with stitching when the wheels cross those joins, was never told I could get 10 ft poles. Different brand altogether but this info might help you.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 AM
mkc

There's a really good Facebook group for the BlockRockIt where the Qnique is part of the discussions. https://www.facebook.com/groups/blockrockit/. You might consider joining if you are on FB.

Michelle
Old 04-09-2017, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't worry so much about online support. I have an Innova, and their phone support is MARVELOUS, but the web site is not usually very helpful. With a longarm, I think it's much more important to know that you can actually talk to a technician when you have a problem.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 AM

I have a friend who bought the Blockrocket. She really likes it BUT there seems to be a common problem with the computer part that runs it. She has no local dealer support. She just had to pack the whole thing up )totally at their cost for everything) and send it back to the factory. They have been great but that is till a huge hassle. She made 4 quilts on it when this happened.

She has 2 friends with this machine and they have not had that problem. They both love this machine. I am not sure how big their frames are.

She is sorry she did not buy the Qnique one instead as their is a dealer in this area. Local dealer support is a great help.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I also have an Innova so I can't speak of the machine but i can speak of the frame. I think the dealer is being overly optimistic on the size quilt you can do on those frames. As Gay mentioned you need room at the side of your frame for bobbin changes and to oil the bobbin race. You also need some room to put your side clamps on and test tension. I have a 10ft frame and I most definitely can NOT do a 106" wide quilt on it. My absolute maximum is 102" and I don't like going that wide because I don't have any room at the side to test tension, put on side clamps etc. And that is working from the front. It would be impossible to do a panto on a quilt that large. So I would say the dealers claim that you can do 88" wide quilts on the other frame is very suspicious. This makes me wonder what else are they stretching the truth on??

If you mostly do queen size quilts (which is also mostly what I do) don't get anything smaller than a 10 ft frame. If I had the room when I got my LA I would have gone with a 12 foot frame. But as it is the room I have just barely accommodates the 10 ft frame and leaves me room to walk all around it.