Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality Control Issues -- Help? >

Quality Control Issues -- Help?

Quality Control Issues -- Help?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1rottendog View Post
This will start a firestorm but why would you give as charity a quilt that isn't the best you can do? I even heard a woman say one time "this quilt is too good and too pretty to give to charity." Why not?
A group that I was in was given some tops to finish and donate. One top was said to be 'too pretty to donate' so they drew numbers and gave it to a member of the group. Funny thing is the gal that made the original statement--won the top. Am not a member of that group because it has become too self-serving.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 AM

My gd was in the hospital last year, the Linus quilt she received was absolutely perfect.....top drawer fabric, perfect stitching and binding. I was amazed!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If the fabric is good, I would fix any seams that are not sturdy. If the fabric isn't good enough in some blocks, I would set them aside. The lesser quality blocks I would put together in dog blanket size and see if the humane society would like them for the cages.
I know some people like to show all the charity quilts but just say some were all ready donated. I know that doesn't fix the quality control but the dog will appreciate some new blankets too.
Great answer. I agree.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 AM

My thoughts:

I really dislike the term, "charity"...to me it implies, "you are less than me". Why can't we refer to it as, "Just Because" as in, just because I wanted to, just because I feel your hopelessness, just because I wanted to brighten your day, etc.

In re to quality control...it seems you have an active group. Perhaps you could single those out who do substandard work and tell them you have a great need for simple envelope quilts requiring only 3 seams. That way it would be a simple process when you checked them to just reinforce those 3 seams before turning them inside out and closing up the last seam.

In re to the homeless and "ugly" quilts. I'm sure some stealing does go on but that is why the homeless carry everything with them. Every time they want to go to a service station to use the bathroom or simply move from one place to another, summer as well as winter, they must carry every single thing they own with them? ....coat, bedding, any personal items, any cooking items they've found, etc., etc., etc. If we really want to help why not make it more of a "leg up". Give them something to be proud of, not something just thrown together so we can feel self righteous. And, if you really want to be helpful, why not make it so that it can be folded up and put straps on one side so they can put there things inside and be worn as a backpack. And why not a large pocket on one side with maybe a pair of socks inside and a toothbrush and toothpaste and a bar of soap.

As I said, just my thoughts....................
Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 AM

Because a quilt is for charity should not mean that it should not be of sufficient quality that one is embarrassed to put a label on it. I'm not saying, buying or making it out of the "best" fabric that you have but it still should meet a certain standard as should the piecing & quilting. The recipients are there for "whatever" reason that life has given them & we should strive to NOT make them feel any less inferior. IMHO
That quilt could be the very thing that finally makes them feel that someone "cares".
Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
A group that I was in was given some tops to finish and donate. One top was said to be 'too pretty to donate' so they drew numbers and gave it to a member of the group. Funny thing is the gal that made the original statement--won the top. Am not a member of that group because it has become too self-serving.
I too, would not be a member of that group. That behaviour is very disappointing.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Even animal shelter quiilts should hold together - it would probably be harmful to the animal to get at the fillings.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Charity work

Originally Posted by 1rottendog View Post
For those of you out there who make quilts for charity and work as a group, how do you ensure consistency of quality in the quilts you donate? I don't mean "quilt police" re: colors chosen, etc. We are more concerned with even seams, good thread, making as good a quilt as we can with some of the less than top quality fabric donated to us. As a group, do you have a set of guidelines you use, i.e., 1/4" seams, pressing, watching the tension on your bobbin thread, making the quilts a standardized size? And how do you communicate the guidelines or ensure they are met. There are several in our group where anything goes and when it comes time to quilt the quilts (we machine quilt), some are so crooked with seams that range from two threads to 3/4" that we can't donate them. The ladies in our group have their hearts in the right place or they wouldn't be helping out but we need some suggestions as to how to stress that poor quality work reflects on all of us. We put labels on all the quilts we donate. Touchy issue I know and if a PM response is better, please do. Thanks.
There are many who are not as experienced as others; therefore, I suggest when doing such a wonderful project as this... have the group meet a couple of times in a specified time frame, thereby showing and working, on a one on one basis, with some of those you know who are not producing up to your standards, showing them what you are trying to convey and maybe not getting across; hence making a stronger and better group. Your group would be the envy of every group because you took the time and patience to teach and make something right for someone you cared about. Everyone wins.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Did they ask the donor if they could draw for it.?
if not, what is the difference between doing that and stealing something pretty from a homeless?
I too would not to be a member of that group.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 AM

We have a sewing ministry at our church. We teach new quilters as they start working with the quilts. If they haven't done any quilting before, they are taught making the first quilt for their self. The pattern isn't complicated but something that will cover most skills needed for piecing a top. They are usually very proud of that first quilt and have the confidence to work on one for someone else. I've always taught my kids "do all things as unto the LORD". I try to do the same, my best.
Right now, our group is working on quilts for the Veteran's Home to be delivered in July. The ones finished are beautiful.