Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's >

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM

I have bought some of the Calico keepsakes fabric. It's in a BOM quilt I did in '09. The whole thing wasn't in that fabric as I shopped for fabric each month for each BOM. We have a 4 year old and a dog so that quilt has been washed several times. It seems like its fine. I like the texture of the keepsake, and the Legacy Studios fabric also sold by Joann's. I am currently working on a quilt exclusively out of the Legacy Studios fabric. It has a wonderful texture and feel, I would guess that the thread count is high like 400 (same for the keepsakes collection). I am picky about fabric, I see people who rave about their finds at Wal-Mart and I have seen some very cute fabric there but when I feel it the thread count tells me its not as high a quality as I would buy so I skip it even though it's tempting because its so cheap compare to the LQS where most of it is $9 a yard. I would recommend the line of fabric.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:25 PM

I have bought fabric from just about everywhere you can think of. I worked at Jo-Ann's for a while many of years ago, so I have a ton of fabric from there, and have never had a problem. Im sure they have a return policy on line, like the stores do, so if you dont like it, you can send it back if you dont care for the feel.Good luck on your fabric shopping.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM

It's a heavy quilted blanket used to protect your furniture when you move.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
I have bought some of the Calico keepsakes fabric. It's in a BOM quilt I did in '09. The whole thing wasn't in that fabric as I shopped for fabric each month for each BOM. We have a 4 year old and a dog so that quilt has been washed several times. It seems like its fine. I like the texture of the keepsake, and the Legacy Studios fabric also sold by Joann's. I am currently working on a quilt exclusively out of the Legacy Studios fabric. It has a wonderful texture and feel, I would guess that the thread count is high like 400 (same for the keepsakes collection). I am picky about fabric, I see people who rave about their finds at Wal-Mart and I have seen some very cute fabric there but when I feel it the thread count tells me its not as high a quality as I would buy so I skip it even though it's tempting because its so cheap compare to the LQS where most of it is $9 a yard. I would recommend the line of fabric.
Thank you so much for your thoughts and reply. Glad to hear you've had such a positive experience. Much appreciated.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I have bought fabric from just about everywhere you can think of. I worked at Jo-Ann's for a while many of years ago, so I have a ton of fabric from there, and have never had a problem. Im sure they have a return policy on line, like the stores do, so if you dont like it, you can send it back if you dont care for the feel.Good luck on your fabric shopping.
Nice to hear of your experiences, thank you. I will check the return policy, thanks. Hard for me to imagine returning any cut fabric, but I will check into it.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM

i've never had a problem with any of the fabric i have bought from them over the years.it's all very pretty and a good value.i also buy from a place called ben franklins in utica ohio.they are sort of like an old time woolworth's store.they seel lots of other things but a LOT of fabric. vip fabric if you can find it is beautiful!!! i have used that brand many times and all of the quilts turn out soooo pretty.good luck and let us know what you decide
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM

I find I like to feel the fabric and compare. I have purchased lots of Keepsake and have been satisfied.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 PM

I have used some of the Keepsake fabric from Jo Ann's. The quality varies with the price. Some of it is only $3.99 a yd. and some is $8.99 a yd. I always feel the fabric before I buy no matter which store it comes from. I always buy when it is on sale.When I first started quilting I didn't want to pay top price for fabric for fear I would ruin it. It seems like no matter where we buy our fabric it is being made out of this country. Mary M
Old 07-25-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by grammyv
i've never had a problem with any of the fabric i have bought from them over the years.it's all very pretty and a good value.i also buy from a place called ben franklins in utica ohio.they are sort of like an old time woolworth's store.they seel lots of other things but a LOT of fabric. vip fabric if you can find it is beautiful!!! i have used that brand many times and all of the quilts turn out soooo pretty.good luck and let us know what you decide
Thanks so much for your reply. We used to have a wonderful Ben Franklin's here in town until they closed up two years ago. I bought a LOT of their fabric. We do have an awesome quilt shop now, tho.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mary M
I have used some of the Keepsake fabric from Jo Ann's. The quality varies with the price. Some of it is only $3.99 a yd. and some is $8.99 a yd. I always feel the fabric before I buy no matter which store it comes from. I always buy when it is on sale.When I first started quilting I didn't want to pay top price for fabric for fear I would ruin it. It seems like no matter where we buy our fabric it is being made out of this country. Mary M
I was noticing there is a big difference in price between the calicoes. I too, try to buy on sale. Simply cannot afford to do otherwise. Who knows? Maybe I can talk DH into going 20 extra miles in a couple of weeks when we have to head down the mountain for doc appts.