Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quandry - can't seem to get started . . . >

Quandry - can't seem to get started . . .

Quandry - can't seem to get started . . .

Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 AM

sorry double post

you'll find this will fade in time, when you will just take up a project and go with it start to finish. :thumbup:
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 AM

I make queen and king sized and I do get bored so I give myself permission to do one week on and one week on the new one that way I get them both done and of course there is a couple of ones waiting to be started.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 AM

I have lots of patterns with fabric and in the end I didn't know where to start. So, I set aside one day a week to sew, picked which quilt I liked the best and started from there. In the last 12 months have done five quilts and the next one is lined up ready to start. Just do it.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by gwanma
Good luck...what should we call that feeling?
I don't know, it is like a kind of serenity, a quilt-ocity, it is delicious, shivery happiness, both because you completed something but also because you freed up time and energy to start something new. I like seeing my ideas and color concepts come to fruition. Very rewarding. That is a thread in and of itself - creating the term for that "just finished" happy state. Come on ladies, put your thinking caps on!

:lol:
Old 10-26-2011, 01:14 PM

We all have bits that we find hard. I think a good idea is to have maybe two projects on the go or maybe another small project as well. When you have them all at different stages it works for the different time slots you have. Maybe a hand pieced one to take with you and then maybe one at the cutting stage which you only allow yourself to do once you have done at least half of the top to another one - a reward to yourself. Then you get to sew it only when you finish the top. You get the idea I hope. You will work a system that works out for you but give yourself some fun to experiement along the way. It's all a learning process - do let yourself finsih something as it is a great feeling to admire what you have learnt when you look at your work. remember to post your work here for us to see.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:38 PM

I like that part too,but if I think I have to many stacking up I make a deal with myself that I can't cut or buy any more fabric until I get the pile down to nothing waiting, It just works better if you talk to yourself. Or your other opeion would be to get a partner to sew. This actually works well I've seen it done.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 PM

WOW ... you've got them cut already? I can't get that far. It seems I'm always adding to a group of fabrics I've separated for a project and then I just spend too much time looking at all the fabrics.
So just jump in and start sewing; I'm sure you'll be elated with the final outcomes.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 PM

Now I think This is a Great Idea... I will have to do it

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
I put myself on a schedule. Monday and Wednesday, work on 1 project, Tues. and Thurs., work on a second project. Friday is my day to do whatever. Many times, if I stick to the schedule, I get further into a project that I just want to keep working at it and finish it. (Especially now for Christmas gift giving) Evenings are for hand sewing, binding, hand applique, etc. I really shouldn't talk, I too have 3 large boxes of ufos, but I am working on it! Yeah, right after Christmas!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katcox
get a partner to sew. This actually works well I've seen it done.
i like this idea. it's harder to procrastinate that way. and chatting while working makes the project go faster
Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by justsojanie
As a newbie, I don't know if this is common practice but, I have cut pieces for 1/2 dozen projects/laptops and still haven't put them together!!! It's as though I enjoy finding a pattern, choosing the colors, cutting the fabric, but when I have at least 6 blocks cut and ready for that pattern, then a different pattern catches my eye and I'm off! I really want to get started - so many beautiful quilts to make!!!! What's wrong with me??
There is nothing wrong with you that I wouldn't love to suffer from. I pull all the fabrics, find a pattern, and go back to pulling fabric, finding a pattern, since I am just awful at cutting them out. I am not very coordinated with cutting.