Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Queen Size Quilt ? >

Queen Size Quilt ?

Queen Size Quilt ?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Default Queen Size Quilt ?

I am going to make a queen size quilt, but want it to be big enough to hang down the sides and long enough to pull up over too. I would like your input to what a good measurement would be. The mattress is a pillow top style mattress. Headboard and foot board are the brass style.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 PM

105" x 105".
Old 04-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Take the measurements of the bed and then use those mesurements to figure out the size of the quilt. Might just end up being closer to the size of a King. I made my best friend a queen size top for her bed but she wanted it larger so I almost ended up piecing a king size top. Fortunately, she paid to have it quilted.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

The only way to know how big is to measure it. Beds have different thicknesses, box springs and frames bring them varying distances from the floor, and we all have our preferences regarding how close to bring the quilt to the floor, whether to have a pillow tuck, whether to allow the quilt to pass between the footboard and the bed, etc.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
the only way to know how big is to measure it. Beds have different thicknesses, box springs and frames bring them varying distances from the floor, and we all have our preferences regarding how close to bring the quilt to the floor, whether to have a pillow tuck, whether to allow the quilt to pass between the footboard and the bed, etc.
exactly !!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Thanks to all of you. Great suggestions.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The only way to know how big is to measure it. Beds have different thicknesses, box springs and frames bring them varying distances from the floor, and we all have our preferences regarding how close to bring the quilt to the floor, whether to have a pillow tuck, whether to allow the quilt to pass between the footboard and the bed, etc.
I agree. You might also consider the blankets and other layers you will use on the bed. I made what I thought was queen sized, but by the time I added in the extra blankets we use in the winter, I realize I didn't allow for "take up", that shrinkage that happens when home dec things are really used! Wish I had made my comforter another block wider to allow for the bulk that the extra layers have.