Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • question about batiks >
  • question about batiks

• question about batiks

Old 08-16-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by julie
    I don't normally use batiks in my quilts, so I don't know if this is normal. I bought 3 yds. of a teal batik, to use in a baby quilt. I washed the batik with Color Catchers, and they came out colored. In total, I washed the fabric 5 times, and the Color Catchers are still coming out with color. The orange batik that I washed separately came out fine, no color on the Color Catchers. I used a warm wash/cold rinse setting on both. I'm very leary about using the teal fabric since it's still bleeding. I'm concerned that it will bleed when the quilt is done, and Mommy has to wash it the first time baby spits up on it. I bought the fabric at a reputable quilt shop, it cost over $11 a yard. Is it normal for a batik to keep bleeding? Is it too late to try Retayne, as the bottle says to use it before the fabric has been washed. Should I put this fabric away, and try to find another teal fabric. I was really excited to start the quilt this weekend, and now I'm very hesitant. thanks for your help.
    I love batiks and I use a recipe that I found here on the quiltingboard that works quite well. I never prewash any of them, I just use this recipe from this thread, "Recipe to Keep Colors from Running." It was from zozee and tessagin made a comment about using it on one she had prewashed already and it stop the running.

The only thing not mentioned was how much water. I just partially start my machine (toploader) and let a small amount of water fill the bottom in order to dump the mix in. Then I just continue the cycle.
    Old 08-16-2015, 01:50 PM

If you have the Retayne, I would certainly try it. I have used it on several fabrics that bled with excellent results.
    Old 08-16-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm
    I love batiks and I use a recipe that I found here on the quiltingboard that works quite well. I never prewash any of them, I just use this recipe from this thread, "Recipe to Keep Colors from Running." It was from zozee and tessagin made a comment about using it on one she had prewashed already and it stop the running.

The only thing not mentioned was how much water. I just partially start my machine (toploader) and let a small amount of water fill the bottom in order to dump the mix in. Then I just continue the cycle.
    Where could I find the recipe you mentioned?
    Old 08-16-2015, 04:32 PM

I studied textiles and dying fabrics in college. We did a lot of experiments with natural fibres and many different dyes. The only time hot water is used is during the dying process itself. It is not necessary to pre-wash batik fabrics. If you wash the batiks in hot water they will continue to release color. Wash batiks in cold water only, just like any other dark or bright fabric. It is normal for small amounts of color to continue to release. Ironing your fabric will help to set the colors after it has dried (air dryed only). If you make your quilt with similar colors in your palette and grey as a neutral you will have a gorgeous quilt for the long term. I love working with batiks and have many beautiful quilts that have been washed without a problem.

There are a few natural methods to help retain dyes. Here is a good link to some helpful tips.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/03/...c-from-fading/
    Old 08-16-2015, 06:09 PM

More than ½ my stash is made up of batiks! I use them all the time, if one is questionable I soak the fabric in Retyane before I use it.
    Old 08-16-2015, 07:43 PM
    Power Poster

I guess since only cold water should be used then they wouldn't be the best for a baby quilt? They do spit up a lot and other things. lol...
    Old 08-16-2015, 07:58 PM

I love batiks and treat like all my fabrics--I rub (hard) white paper on the fabric and if no trace of color on paper, then I don't pre-wash. I always use cold water--on all my wash with very few exceptions, so batiks are washed in cold too. Have had no dye bleeding problem with them. I do think that some batiks are more heavily satuated with dye--seems like those that have less wax-release design on them (more like marbleized stuff) have more dye saturated.
    Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose
    Go to the top of this page. On the right hand side there is a small white rectangle next to the search icon (the small magnifying glass.) Type in "Recipe to keep colors from running." It will take you to a page of related posts. About half way down is one with this title.

Leslie
    Old 08-17-2015, 06:08 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...g-t237701.html
    Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose
    It is a thread here on the quiltingboard. Just go to the tool bar up above and do an "advanced search"; it is just below the search box. Type the thread name, "Recipe to Keep Colors from Running" in the Keyword search field.