Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about borders >

Question about borders

Question about borders

Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 AM

What is WOF?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Linda Hawkins
I have been a lurker for awhile and learned a lot from you guys. Thank you so much. Now my question is...
I am ready to put some borders around my quilt. Do I need to cut
90+ inches on the straight? or can I cut wof and sew together?
I think on the straight would look better but....I know I will get it crooked. How do you do it?
Thanks, Linda
What does WOF mean?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:40 AM

Width Of Fabric = WOF
Old 10-20-2010, 06:47 AM

Depends on the project, if I do an elaborate applique, I will do length of fabric, otherwise I just cut across selvage to selvage and piece the length I need. Fabric is just to costly to have a lot of leftover from cutting borders lengthwise.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I usually use the WOF for borders, except for special projects. Can't justify the cost, especially on scrappy or charity quilts.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Linda Hawkins
I have been a lurker for awhile and learned a lot from you guys. Thank you so much. Now my question is...
I am ready to put some borders around my quilt. Do I need to cut
90+ inches on the straight? or can I cut wof and sew together?
I think on the straight would look better but....I know I will get it crooked. How do you do it?
Thanks, Linda
Depends on what your border fabric is. If it's large and a seam would really be noticable, or the design is directional so that WOF cutting would make everything be sideways, then cut a full length so you don't have to piece it. But if it's a smaller, non-directional fabric, and piecing wouldn't be obvious, go ahead and piece it. I have had border fabric that's large in scale, but not enough length to cut it without piecing, so I take several smaller pieces, say 2 1/2" x whatever the width of the border is and inset them to look like you planned it that way. Obviously, you'll use fabrics from your quilt, or others that coordinate, but, it's actually a cool way to solve this problem. I've attached this picture to illustrate the sort of strips I mean, only you would only use a few at a time, rather that do the whole border this way. Am I as clear as mud?? :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112980.jpe  
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 AM

I prefer no seams in my borders, so i like to use the length of fabric (LOF) which is parallel to the selvage edge, rather than the width of fabric (WOF) with seams.

The trick to cutting LOF is to have your fabric perfectly aligned on grain before you cut.
Start with a length of fabric which is a few inches longer than the length you need for borders, taking into account extra for mitred corners (if applicable) and the fact that the ends of this length will need to be squared up.
Iron your fabric open to one layer. The process is easier, i think, if you spray starch or mist out the fold so that it is open and removed from the fabric.
Then lay out your length of fabric, on a table, preferably.
Take one selvage edge and bring it to the other selvage edge, and make sure the fabric lies perfectly smooth. No little waves or wrinkles. The cut ends of the fabric may or may not be lined up. What you need lined up is are the selvages with the 2 layers of fabric completely smooth. If you wish, you may press the fold back into the fabric at this point.
Then fold the length of your fabric, with the selvages lined up still, in half, and in half again, until it fits under your ruler.
I like to use the June Tailor Shape Cut Ruler, with a large Rotary blade (60 mm rather than 45mm), but you can use any ruler you wish.
Be sure to put your ruler perpendicular to the folded edge and parallel to the selvage edge when you cut, or you will end up with something that looks like ric-rac.
Once you do this a couple of times, it is a piece of cake and you will be able to do it always.
To save on fabric waste, you would need to see if your border fabric is used elsewhere in your pattern and if it is, you would need to figure out how much of the fabric which is not used in the borders would be available for your quilt top. Often you can get away with buying what you need for the borders and then you can get the remainder of the pieces for your quilt from the "leftovers" from the borders. Just remember to cut borders *first*.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 AM

you can do either, if your dealing with a strip or print that would be best going length of fabric then go ahead and cut it that way making sure that fabric is laying straight when you cut it. But the easiest way is WOF, and pieced together.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 AM

I always cut my borders from the lenght of fabric even if I have to piece them , there is less stretch this way. Also, if you have an extremely large quilt & need really long borders I have also torn my borders & never had a problem , just press the torn edges until they are nice & flat.This is used if you don't want to piece a really long border & seems to be more accurate than trying to cut thru a really thick piece of fabric.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM

I use WOF. Using straight grain can cause a curvy outside edge if you stretch the fabric while ironing or handling.