Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about charge for LA quilting >

Question about charge for LA quilting

Question about charge for LA quilting

Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 AM

that is exactly why I do my own quilting on my Bernina with a stitch regulator or a walking foot if the quilt is to large I do it in sections but I am always sure to get what I want and a great feel of accomplishment as I have done all of the work and it is truly mine it just takes me longer to get a quilt done but well worth it
Old 08-16-2011, 05:09 AM

Wow I can feel your disappointment to be charged so much for something you specifically said you did not want. I don't know why so many LA quilters have to over quilt a quilt until it's stiff. They look beautiful but their just so stiff. Does anyone else think this way or is it just me?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 AM

Where are you located? I would like to have the address of your quilter. My LA just left and I am looking for a new one. Thanks, Charlie
Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Any chance you could still get the fabric and replace the quilt. I know it sounds crazy but I have had to do that. I FMQ on a frame with a juki - no where near what a LA has but I only do for local friends. I misunderstood what one of the ladies wanted last month and she really wasn't happy. She thought it looked nice just wasn't what she wanted. I gave her the option of paying her for it, remaking it or whatever she felt was fair. SHe came back 2 days later with the pattern and almost identical fabric. I remade the top for her. I know it's not the same as if you made it yourself but maybe they could at least offer something similar. She still paid to have the one top quilted and allowed me to keep the original one.
is your juki a LA or short A?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by My time
Wow I can feel your disappointment to be charged so much for something you specifically said you did not want. I don't know why so many LA quilters have to over quilt a quilt until it's stiff. They look beautiful but their just so stiff. Does anyone else think this way or is it just me?
I feel the same way and why I do all my quilts by hand. I like the feel of a comfy cuddly quilt not something that is stiff.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I misunderstood what one of the ladies wanted last month and she really wasn't happy. She thought it looked nice just wasn't what she wanted. I gave her the option of paying her for it, remaking it or whatever she felt was fair. SHe came back 2 days later with the pattern and almost identical fabric. I remade the top for her. I know it's not the same as if you made it yourself but maybe they could at least offer something similar. She still paid to have the one top quilted and allowed me to keep the original one.
That's a really impressive way to handle that situation. Great way to resolve everything and have her happy in the end :)
Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 PM

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I had a very large quilt (112x110) done, with her thread, her batting (Hobbs 80/20), and only paid $187.50. I had her do an all over "free style" quilting, I just asked for hearts in the quilting. This woman has been supporting herself for years by doing LAQ. She even picked it up, and delivered it. Is this what you wanted to know about pricing? I hope you find a solution.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
It sure sounds like a lot of money to me, and especially when they didn't do what you asked. For that price, they should rip out the stitching on the pinwheels and do what you asked.

Yours is not the first post I've read like this. If I ever have a quilt LA'd, unless it's someone whose work I know from this board, I'm going to sketch what I want, and have them sign it.

good luck, and don't back down. Your quilt deserves better, and so do you.
Make each of you a copy of the sketch, and sign both. No Worries.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 PM

I hope you get this settled to your satisfaction. I am so glad that you are taking your time to compose yourself. Hope you are able to resolve this.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:43 PM

For what it's worth, I recently got a quote of $600 to LA my king-size (120x120) quilt, custom. The backing is properly prepared and I'd even pieced the batting together. I'm still thinking about whether to go pick it up before she gets to it. I think it's too big for me to do a decent job on it myself, renting time on a LA machine at our LQS.

It must be sooooo discouraging to have your instructions ignored! Scary that it happens.