Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about charge for LA quilting >

Question about charge for LA quilting

Question about charge for LA quilting

Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by newestnana
For what it's worth, I recently got a quote of $600 to LA my king-size (120x120) quilt, custom. The backing is properly prepared and I'd even pieced the batting together. I'm still thinking about whether to go pick it up before she gets to it. I think it's too big for me to do a decent job on it myself, renting time on a LA machine at our LQS.

It must be sooooo discouraging to have your instructions ignored! Scary that it happens.
Wow! The quilt would have to be very special for me to invest that much in quilting it.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:02 PM

I sent mine to Daisy and she did a wonderful job. Also she emailed me several times before she did anything to make sure I got what I wanted. It wasnt too expensive either but it was an overall pattern, no custom. That would be more.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 PM

I am a longarm quilter but I can't begin to answer your question without seeing pictures. Depending on the density of the quilting which is what generally sets the price of custom quilting, it's hard to know whether or not it was a fair price. At $.03 per sq inch the price would be $355.68 plus tx and batting and thread. I charge that rate for more complex designs/dense quilting and depending I may add another half a cent per sq inch.
It's sad that you are unhappy and I'm sure the longarm quilter is unhappy as well. Hopefully you'll be able to come to an agreement so you'll all be happy. In the future you should write down exactly how you want it to be done in order to avoid a repeat of this situation. Also you should know in advance what the price of the quilting will be. Good luck
Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

You know this is always such a scary thing to comment on....I am a LAQ. It is always stressful to me when someone is un-happy with my work.
I have had a few. I think it is bound to happen along the way...Not that we ever want it to. There are so many things technical issues, mis-communication, and personal preference. There are so many things that can/could go wrong.
When the partnership between quilters has so much invested it it really difficult. I am sorry. I am sure your LAQ is just as sorry....none of us like this situation.
But I think you are right to wait until you compose yourself and you can communicate and articulate what you want.
I would just say that you have a history with this business and you have been pleased with them before...so trust your instincts..but also let them fix it for you if you are willing. I am sure they want to work it out with you..just as much as you want it to work out with them.

In all reality as big as your quilt is...and the ruler work they put into I think the price is right...SID is not easy on a long arm..so most of us charge extra for that....it sounds like they made it harder on themselves by doing extra ruler work...outlining the inside and outside of the pin wheels...but probably the same price......I hope this situation is resolved..please keep us updated. HUgs
Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM

So how was this resolved?
I have learned some good suggestions/precautions to take in the future.
Sharon
Old 08-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

Well as of today Sat. Aug 27th it has been two weeks since I took the quilt back and 11 days since I went back to the shop and we discussed in detail what I wanted. She had some designs in mind that she thought would look good and said she would email them to me. I offered to take the stitching out around the pinwheels and she declined the offer (she said she would do it in the evenings in front of the TV). So far I've not heard anything from her via phone or email. I wil be going back to the shop on Sept. 10th for our Saturday Sampler class. I will not be surprised if I don't hear from her before then. I know some of you won't agree but I'm not going to call.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Bless your heart. Sounds like you did get the shaft. I would have to wait myself to go back in and talk to them about the quilting as I would not be able to talk without getting upset. I sure hope they make things right for you.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:21 AM

Joyce,
Thank you for the up-date. I'm sorry you have not had a better resolution. A bad experience with a LA quilter is the reason I now own an HQ 16. I still regret paying for the bad quilting she did on my quilt which was a gift. I hope it turns out well in the end. Sharon
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

I would expect it t take quite awhile to remove the stitches and redo the quilt. Thanks for the update. I hope it works out well for you.