Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about groups >

Question about groups

Question about groups

Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

For many years the local quilt shop had a morning set aside where people could bring in the projects they were working on. No food or beverages were provided, however, there was a quilt teacher available to answer any questions or to help with any problems. I thought it was very reasonable, I was able to work on projects, enjoy the company of other quilters and learn from them as well. Cherylesa makes a valid point as you are using the facilities, lights, electricity, bathroom facilities, etc. I think the fee is reasonable.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 AM

If food is provided, then no, $7 isn't too much!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM

WOW athomenow, after some of the replies to your question asking for suggestions; I commend you for your statement here. I am sorry some seemed to take offense about the entire thing. I do understand how you were trying to help but I think your decision to speak with her about trying the free approach may bring more people in. Again, I commend you!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:48 AM

Another perspective on the food is for people with diet restrictions. I'm a vegetarian and have some medical issues on top of that, so when I hear "food is provided" that doesn't really motivate me because I am going to assume I can't eat anything. Maybe I WILL be able to, but it's better if I eat first or at least bring a protein bar to get me through. And honestly, some of the smells of food are off-putting for me, especially when I'm not feeling tip-top.

So for ME, a free event with no food is vastly preferred to one that has even a nominal cost and food provided. I also won't have to worry about clueless but well-meaning people touching my project (or fabric in the store) with their greasy pizza-sauce fingers!

I think if I were you I WOULD talk to the owner and suggest she at least try a new format out and see what kind of results she gets. You're trying to help her business succeed and I think that's wonderful. Hopefully she'll get a nice group of regulars that forget stuff at home a lot (so they need to buy stuff in the shop)!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM

Lots of good opinions here.
Mine is NO FOOD.
No charge but a 10% discount on anything they buy during the gathering to encourage purchases. Don't know if that should include the consignment stuff? Probably not?
Did I say NO FOOD?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:04 AM

My experience is a bit different but we have a quilting group that meets in a church. We were told we could use the commons room, no charge. The members decided that we should each give a donation to the church for the use of electricity and storing. It has worked out well and nobody has complained about the charge. For me $7 for lunch and the use of the room-OK I would still go.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 PM

Several of the LQS have sew ins like that. I am pretty sure they all charge a nominal fee such as $5 or $7. There is rent, lighting and at least one employee to pay for your time there. I am pretty sure the only time it is free is for charity sewing events.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 PM

Maybe for your area $7 is high but around here the lights wouldn't even be turn on for that price. You can expect $10 to $20 with no food included. However, the shop does supply a qualified person to be there to help with any problems or to answer questions.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 AM

Food was provided and people are complaining about $7 for 3 hours? I'm not sure what to say about that. I'd actually enjoy something like that and would certainly think the $7 reasonable. Her building/shop, electric/air conditioning, her time. Bring this up when people complain - it's hard enough to make a business work without people complaining about a legitimate charge and taking away bad feelings.
Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I will be working one day a week in a friend's quilt shop soon and was invited to take part in a get together in the shop. The purpose was to bring something to work on and have it be a social 3 hours. The cost was $7 and food was provided. No one used any of the shop resources (sewing machines or supplies) and the general consensus of the group was that no fee should have been charged. There were no lessons being taught. Our thoughts were to have everyone bring a snack to share and the owner could provide drinks and maybe people would be spending some of their money to buy things from the store. This is a brand new venture and I really want it to be successful. Are we right or wrong in our assumptions that the fee was too much for the event?? I'd love feedback as I want to talk to her about it but don't want to be telling her how to run her business. Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 07:32 AM

One of my LQS has a an open sewing/quilting group and doesn't charge anything. Attendees bring something to drink if the want to. Your shop owner could present new fabrics, tools and ideas at this get together that might generate some sales that would help offset utilities costs.