Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Ikea furniture and quilting room >

Question about Ikea furniture and quilting room

Question about Ikea furniture and quilting room

Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 AM

I've had my eye on this one for a long time...
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...92/#/S79036893
It's $177 plus shipping. Very reasonable. Adjustable shelves. Comes in more than one color choice for the frame.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:33 PM

If you have a Facebook account, search Sewing Room Ideas. The entire page is dedicated only to posts and photos on how people arrange and outfit their sewing rooms. Lots of ikea fans there, myself included. I have the Kallax book shelves and a few other things. I find their furniture easy to put together and quite sturdy and I love the clean lines.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 PM

My friend has ikea cabinets in her sewing room and they are beautiful and functional.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:06 PM

If you can get to a store, it would help you a lot to see the various options in person. My DH was resistant to the IKEA idea until I dragged him down there, but he spotted the thing we bought first and we both like it a lot, which is important because it's in our TV room outside my sewing room door. It's a pair of the tall, deep Pax units, filled with shelves and with the translucent sliding doors option (They have several different door styles). It holds a ton of stuff, all neatly hidden from view, and the sliding doors do not impede traffic or bump furniture as swinging doors would. They glide smoothly, and the whole thing feels rock solid. I didn't buy any of the drawer units, but they are available, and the store has worksheets with all the specs. If you are planning to order online, I imagine you could talk with someone at Ikea who could mail out or fax whatever information you might need.

It took 2 experienced men 3 hours to install these, and it was worth every penny for that labor, but if you're younger and stronger than we are (and more patient!), you could certainly do it yourself. In addition to the space on the wall and floor where you're planning to put it, keep in mind that part of the assembly process involves laying parts out on the floor, and they are big, so you have to allow a lot of room for the work. It's not as if you could have it assembled out on the driveway and then brought in. It's heavy and unwieldy, especially if stairs are involved. If you plan to move at a later date, moving companies do not like to deal with this kind of thing. You might have to unassemble it, and to me that is such a daunting idea that we plan never to ever move again, if at all possible. If we do, it's staying in the house. I think the new owners would appreciate it, however. We certainly do.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:31 PM

A friend bought an IKEA kitchen cabinet w/o a top. Her husband put a board on top and she padded and covered it for an ironing surface. She has soft closing drawers and a drawer that slides inside on top of the divided space. Really handy for small things. I think they are going to make a cutting one now.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Power Poster

I have IKEA Besta cabinets with clear glass doors and a Billy bookcase, also with glass door. Besta has tons of drawer options. My sewing table is from IKEA also.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:24 AM

We bought PAX wardrobes for our Florida condo from Ikea in February. Over Spring break, the guys in the family are going to assemble and install them across one wall in the second bedroom. I'll arrive after they've done their magic. We ordered seashell ceramic knobs. I am going to have seven skinny wardrobes in total with doors so I can keep the room looking tidier. We bought seven pullout baskets and a bunch of shelves. The doors have a bead board look. This room will be my sewing space primarily when we move down there. I'm looking forward to being a lot more organized.
Good luck with your decision. And..don't get too discouraged with the site. I've found it can be frustrating to navigate, sometimes.