Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about quilting feathers >

Question about quilting feathers

Question about quilting feathers

Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Go to this website for a free quilting magazine. Leah Day has three methods showing how to do feathers 3 different ways.

www.onlinequiltmagazine.com/downloads/oqm-2011-10.pdf

There is also a link there for her website.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM

You don't have to use both feathers. Use the larger or the smaller one. If you are determined to use both, trace the larger one first and then shift the stencil to attach the smaller one to the larger one at an angle. You must remember to ignore the bridges between the feathers. Don't start and stop at the bridges--just continue with a continuous quilting thread. The bridges merely hold the cut stencil together. If you cut the little bridges, your stencil will fall apart. You may have to backtrack over some lines of stitching to get from point A to point B, though. Good luck and post so we can see what you did.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Dee

I practice, but my feathers I can't even describe. It'll take awhile for me to use feathers on my quilts.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
besides watching dvds, reading books you must do some doodling........that is if you are going to machine feather.....here is an easy beginnning.....with pencil draw a curved line, do not remove pencil from paper, but on one side of line only, draw half of a heart to stem (line you first drew), then go back out with another half heart.....you are starting at the top of feather so make them slightly larger (if you want to) as you move down. When you get to bottom of that line, go back up that line to top again, and do the other side of that line with the other half of the heart--they don't have to line up evenly, be a bit free with it and you don't try to stay on the line of each finished one, keep a bit of space between these half hearts.....doing it with a pencil or pen and paper embeds it into your brain and then translating it to the movement with the sewing machine is an easier transition. After feeling safe with that excercise, go to a heart, circle, or whatever and just keep making half hearts. Then, further down the road, try different techniques of making feathers, and find one that works the best for you...or like me, whatever works for whatever it is I am doing. It will not happen in a day, or even a week, so be patient with yourself, and keep practicing.
Now if you are talking about hand quilting that is entirely a different technique........that involves "traveling" to the next spot........
Thank you! That makes so much sense. :thumbup: :-D
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by KimS
Found this on Youtube and it answered my question as to how to connect the plumes. It says to stitch the stem for the next plume between two of the existing feathers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDV70Yu5LSo

Want to thank everyone for their suggestions! :-)
Great! This works well if you are doing a fill.
But you could use the concept for doing regular feathers right?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Here are pictures of 2 different kinds of feathers. The 1st is handy for free motion. No tracing involved. A bit more relaxed. The second is more formal. You will see these on show quilts. The trick here is to trace RIGHT on top on the 2nd 'hump'. Not easy! The Hooked on Feathers book is very good. I am an advocate of dry erase boards or a sketch book. I wish you could see my 1st feathers in my sketch book! YUCK! Can you say potato chips and hot dogs? How about bananas!?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271021.jpe   attachment-271022.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 AM

And my FAVORITE go to feather is called a 'wonky feather' . I learned it on my Pajama quilter DVD. Here is a picture and a link:

http://pajamaquilter.com/

She is alot of fun and encouraging for new machine quilters. Happy feathering!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-271026.jpe  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM

I haven't read all the answers, but I'll post my thoughts on this.........go to www.youtube.com and do a search for "quilting" or "longarm" or "machine quilting" and you'll see videos of people doing feathers. That'll give you an idea....:) :)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Check out the October/November 2011 issue of Quilting Arts, available now $7.99. Good directions for feathers and other really cool quilting designs. I found my issue in my Kroger Store.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=EPV0Y1uK8JA